November 1: The house is slowly divested of it's Halloween finery as I put away the skeletons, take the black satin ribbon off the fruit bowl, sweep up the candy wrappers, throw away whatever hasn't been eaten yet (vanilla flavored Tootsie Rolls, anyone?), take down the spooky black cat triptych and empty the Witch's Pantry of pickled rats and preserved spiders......


Raggedy Anne and the Hippie heading off to their education. Yes, our school proudly encourages this dressing up behavior. They even parade through the whole school!

This morning as I dumped out the putrid looking water (thanks, food coloring!) that preserved the rats and spiders and shrunken skulls--my favorite Halloween decorations this year--I couldn't help but think "Even though these rats and spiders and skulls are just plastic, they're really weirding me out." See you next year, creepy things!
A few more costume pics:
A few more costume pics:
I can neither express to you how much I love that mop of a wig, nor how much Josie loathes it.
Words cannot describe the love this boy has for this mustache. Later on the same day, he realized he had left his mustache on his desk at school (oh sob! oh cry!) and begged me to take him to the Halloween store where he purchased another just like it--with his own money! Won't middle school be great when he can grow his own for free?
I told him to show me his best Airbending moves, and this is what I got.

Hamming it up at Ms. Kim's house. You'd think that with my devotion to all things Halloweeny that my house would have some rad decorations. It doesn't.

Ms. Kim and her 11 little monsters. They sang us spooky Halloween songs and scared us!

Tommy watching his monkey pal "Karen"--really Cieran (pronounced Keeran).
Okay, so this last pic deserves a post all it's own but I'm throwing it in here at the bottom in hopes most of you have lost interest by now anyway. This is from Saturday's "Turbo-ween" at my favorite place to sweat--Streetside South. We were all encouraged (threatened, rather) to dress up for the occasion. I temporarily lost my sanity and put on my old blue unitard from high school dance team, circa 20 years and 20 lbs ago......
Okay, so this last pic deserves a post all it's own but I'm throwing it in here at the bottom in hopes most of you have lost interest by now anyway. This is from Saturday's "Turbo-ween" at my favorite place to sweat--Streetside South. We were all encouraged (threatened, rather) to dress up for the occasion. I temporarily lost my sanity and put on my old blue unitard from high school dance team, circa 20 years and 20 lbs ago......
Here we are, Allison, me, Che, Dustin and Candice, Maria and and Amalia. I have never perspired so much during a workout in my life, most of it the sweat of shame. All I can say is, there is a significant and very important difference between standing still in front of a mirror in your bathroom, "sucking it in" versus bounding around, kicking and punching in a public place. And furthermore.....are those silver lame sleeves stunning, or what?


4 comments:
Girl. I had some unitards back in the day. In particular, I remember a teal, shiny unitard with hot pink trunks. I probably couldn't squeeze my big toe into it now. So good for you!!
There is SO much about that unitard that is stunning, J. I love it.
JF
Joonie, I have decided to look at this picture any time I need a belly laugh. You look fabulous, of course, and are the only person I know who could still wear her dance leotard FROM HIGH SCHOOL (trying not to hate you) AND do the splits. But it's the silver puff sleeves and blue legwarmers. They sleigh me.
I've just gotta say (in their defense) that vanilla tootsie rolls are my very VERY favorite and I wish they would make a bag of just them, with no lemon or orange or lime. Save them for me. I'm sure we'll see you again eventually!
Post a Comment