Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Thinking About Him Turning 5 Just Makes Me Sad

My baby turned 5 yesterday, and even though I won't turn 40 until March I have a feeling that my own aging milestone will be much easier for me to take than yesterday's cruelty. My baby. My last little snuggle-me-mommy. It hurts. Why does time have to speed up during the good parts and then slow to a crawl during the bad (.....a nearly-15 year old, anyone?...)


The birthday boy wearing his special birthday glasses, courtesy of his preschool teacher, the beloved Ms. Kim. Funny story about these glasses. He brought them home on Monday and immediately asked me what they said. Being that he is in his "alphabet learning phase", I often will deliberately sound out the words that he wants me to read for him. I'm sure he finds it annoying. Anyway, I clearly enunciate "Happy BIRTHday" for him and he says "Aw Dangit! It's the wrong words! It's supposed to say "Happy BERTday, because it's my bertday!". It took me all afternoon to explain his mistake.

All smiles for his cake. He requested a lemon cake. I was hesitant, because I don't think he likes lemon cake. Tommy insisted he did. Well HAHA the joke's on you, Tommy. You don't like lemon cake!


3 comments:

Emily said...

I remember when he was a new born. Time does fly! Happy bday Tommy!

Kelly B said...

Oh, sweet Tommy Boy! Is he really 5?!? I'm sniffing as I read this because I know just what you mean- our babies are not babies anymore. Waaah! He's darling; he looks to me like both Pie and Jon. Is that possible? The perfect Pie-dersen mix?!? Oh, give him bertday snuggles for me. And, unlike him, I LOVE lemon cake. WHy don't I live next door?!?

Adrienne said...

He's really five? Oh my crap. Happy Bertday, you non-lemon cake eating Tommy boy!! He is one of the coolest, most blog-able kids on the planet. But then, he IS a Konchar.