Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Insanity-n-Such

Friday morning we took the children for a little car ride to Utah. It was the usual batch of crazy, with extra helpings of such exotic things as......neighborhood-wide power outages and brush fires. But here I am getting ahead of myself.

Friday morning dawned with none of the packing done and all of the clean clothes in a heap on the floor of our room. It is possible that since I no longer have any babies to pack for on these trips that I have become rather blase about the whole "preparation" thing. I woke up at 6 and planned to be on the road by 8:30.

FAT CHANCE

(I think the rest of this post will go quicker if I just list each of us and our most outstanding car moments:)

PIE: Spent the entire day Friday driving us to Utah while simultaneously conducting several intricate and crucial business transactions via his cell phone. If he wasn't on his phone, I was; Texting and forwarding and generally messing that up while shushing the children in the back seats. It was FUN!

ME: In addition to the shushing and bad secretarial work, I was attempting to quilt. I also made great headway into several different bags of snack treats.

SID: When he wasn't bothering others he was auditioning for the role of Marion the Librarian, demanding silence from all of us while he read Twilight.

Calvin: The only thing this kid ever does wrong is allow his brother Sid to get under his skin. Otherwise he is an angel straight from Heaven.

Josie: Spent Friday in a jealous rage because we all continually laughed at Sid's Teen Girl Squad voice (the cheerleader, if you watch homestarrunner--and you should!) instead of laughing at her. While we feel sorry for Josie we can't help but acknowledge that Sid is really really funny. Much funnier than her.

Jon: Apparently ate something that didn't "agree" with him, much to our horror. But he wins points for putting up with sitting next to Sid.

Tommy: Found the trip really long and boring. So long, in fact, that he at one point shouted from the back seat "I'M GETTING OLD!"

The worst (a tie):

Our usual lunch spot in Rawlins (the half-way mark) was so horrible we all have post traumatic stress disorder from eating there. Not that we ever expect much from McDonald's, but the place was filthy, fly-infested and Sid sat in some radioactive green goo stuck to the bench. Oh, and the guy who took our order was named Askhat. I'm not even making it up.

After 8 hours of driving home, we got stuck on the freeway for an hour because of a brush fire next to the road. What should have been the last 15 minutes of a very long day turned into a stop and go mess.

The best:

All those cute mountain towns we drove through on route 40 on our way home. Huge hanging baskets full of flowers adorning each old-fashioned light pole. Oh--and that town where the sign "Rest Area Ahead" was immediately followed by the local cemetery. Adorable!

2 comments:

shayla said...

So it sounds like you just drove to Utah and found it uneventful since your ride there was entertainment enough, then drove right back home... again being entertained the whole way. Being a fly on the walls of your car sounds much like ours except ours might include a lot more &*&%$^^)!@$! mostly from me.

Wayne said...

And this is why I prefer to drive at night. Nothing but me and my audiobook. . . and the occasional implementation of the braille driving method.