Thursday, August 12, 2010

Here's To Another New Year

Another new school year, that is.

And this year is proving to be the biggest one yet:

1 kid in High school
1 kid in Middle school
2 kids in Elementary school (separate classes)
1 Preschooler (to start in September)

After years of suffering (SUFFERING!) through the insanity of year round school, the Douglas County School District has granted our wish to do away with the 4 track calender. Blessed news! Unfortunately, our joy isn't quite full because we still have to send our kids off to start another year the first week of August. Whatever happened to beginning school the day after Labor Day, I'd like to know? Pie--who is never home to begin with so why should he get to be angrier about this anyway?--is particularly aggrieved by this. My attitude (in all ways a model for others) has been "meh". On the one hand you've got summertime by the pool and all the laziness that implies. On the other hand, you've got 5 children, 24/7. On the other-other hand you've got the SYTYCD/Design Star finale. You do the math!

So whether I like it or not, 4 of my 5 are spending August weekdays in the classroom. I've mostly enjoyed the change. I'm now up at 6, making breakfasts and lunches. Four different start times means for over 2 hours each morning I am doing nothing but moving children along the path to leaving for school. I have found that by 9:30 a.m., I am back in bed for a little pre-lunch nap. It is a revelation! The kids start trickling back into the house by 3:00. My day ends between 11:30-12:30 each night (thus the naps!).

The hardest part, by far, is keeping everything straight in my head. How I didn't see this day coming when I was pregnant with all of them is a true mystery.

1 comment:

shayla said...

I'll be anxious to read all about the big year, cause that'll be me next year... w/ 2 in MS. When does seminary start? Release or early morning?