Saturday, May 22, 2010

YOGA: I used to could

Back in the Good Ol' Days--when my evenings were entirely spent on the couch watching important sitcoms/dramas/reality TV--I used to like yoga. It was well within my "wheelhouse", requiring flexibility and balance more than brute strength or aerobic fitness. Well, now that my evenings have been taken over by Tony Horton (think a really buff version of Michael Scott, questionable behavior and perplexing interpersonal skills and all--Sweet Lady Gaga, the man says butt TOCKS instead of buttocks, a la Forrest Gump), I don't actually enjoy yoga all that much. Maybe it's the 92 minute running time for Yoga X. Maybe it's Tony's asinine comments. Maybe it's this little number here......

(not me, just a pic I stole off google images)
aka Revolved Half Moon Pose...
.....which Tony likes to throw in at the end of a particularly grueling set of poses, when my quads are actually begin to smoke preparatory to them bursting into flames right there in our front room. In summation: Me no likey.
Some things I like more:
Push ups! Who knew!
Pull ups. I have improved from 1/8 of a pull up (and Pie said that was "generous") to well over 3/4 of a pull up.
Ab Ripper. I still haven't mastered every exercise, but I'm getting close. I guess the important thing for me to keep in mind here is that I can do more than Pie.
Some things I have a love/hate relationship with:
Plyometrics. This sweat bath is also known as Jump Training, or Intended Use: To Induce Vomiting.
Kenpo. Aka Kick Punching. It is fun to kick and punch.
Core. This one is wicked good. But Superman Banana makes me want to use farm words.
One thing that totally bores me:
Cardio. I don't honestly know how Tony could mess this one up. I can't think of any of his workouts that require less of me aerobically.
Pie and I are now one month in. It is time consuming and has dominated our lives six days a week. But we both have dropped some pounds (him more than me, stupid testosterone) and gotten more fit. It's just been so excruciatingly slow......darn our decrepit middle-aged metabolisms
In closing, a funny gym anecdote:
My mom and I signed up at 24 Hour Fitness last week. We got a pretty good deal. While touring the pool area, my mom turns to the young man showing us around and says: "We have to come pretty early in the mornings, what are your hours?"
It was precious.

No comments: