Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Well, We're Back

We survived over 1,650 miles in the car together last week.


(Let the magnitude of that sink in for a minute)


Thanks to the miracle of the DS-Lite, PSP, Leapster, DVD player and lots and lots of CD's, we managed to not hate each other until approximately 6 pm on last Sunday night--at which point we became stuck in a snow storm and Bronco traffic for the last two hours of our trip. And it was at that exact moment, with a car full of tired, intractable and rather fragrant humanity, that I totally gave up being the cheerleader for our trip and said rather shrilly, "You kids are certainly making the Devil proud".

Kacy always puts play lists on her blog and in an effort to be more like Kacy, I'll do the same:

Harry Belafonte's greatest hits
They Might Be Giants Flood
Weezer Blue album
Weezer Maladroit
DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper
Plus others that I am clearly trying to repress


Of these rather eclectic CD's, Harry and TMBG were definitely the car favorites. I don't know how familiar you are with Harry's Sonora (Jump in da line) but I dare you not to dance a little in your seat while that song is blasting. And what can I say about TMBG? My kids are all old enough to recognize that each and every song was complete nonsense. Catchy, occasionally tuneless nonsense. They couldn't get enough of it. So now whenever I hear Day-O or I Lost My Lucky Ball and Chain, I will instantly be transported back to I-15 headed north to Idaho in a snow storm. Or perhaps I-15 headed anywhere surrounded by a bunch of lunatic drivers. Man, I absolutely hate Utah drivers. Hate-hate-hate....hate-hate-hate....loathe entirely.

So, I'm back. Back to school, back to extra-curricular activities, back to pants that haven't fit comfortably since Thanksgiving. This week I really need to buckle down and get my (now embarrassingly late) Christmas letters sent out. I also need to really stop eating all the old Christmas candy I've hidden for myself in the kitchen. Because this new place I've found to hide the candy (on my person, and by on my person I mean ON MY PERSON) isn't really working out for me.

Wish me well.

4 comments:

shayla said...

Oh, so great to have you back. We've had a few too many of those 1000 mile+ rides ourselves. We vowed to get sound proof glass installed next time...just dreaming about it is fun, isn't it? So did you come home to more snow than you left in Utah?

the binghams. said...

haha. it's not working for me either (on me)

Adrienne said...

How. That is all I can say. HOW. That blows my mind. We did a similar thing, but not, by flying a direct flight to SLC with only THREE children, and it still kicked my trash. All hail Julie!! Seriously.

Nathan & Michelle Watabe said...

Julie,
I laughed out loud at your response on the e-vite. You crack me up. Harrison misses you too. He adores you and everytime we see you at church or he sees your picture on the blog, he gets so excited! I spent a long time yesterday searching your blog for that hello dollie made into a cookie instead of bars recipe. (The oh crap I might have to start wearing sweat pants again, one). To no avail. Which might be for the better. But seriously, I need to just call you and get the recipe.