Sunday, January 17, 2010

Pretty Much the most Awesome Calling Ever

You didn't hear from me much in the past 7 months regarding my calling. Which is silly because the last half a year in my new ward with the kids turning 5 (Ellie, Harrison, Nathan and Haley) was pretty fantastic. But now I've moved on. It's a new year and a new crop of kids and let me tell you what, these new little darlings do not disappoint.

This time around it is the kids turning 8.
Abby (who just won't show up to class one day and it will be because she has been spontaneously translated. Every class needs at least one Abby.)
Alex (who may just be the funniest kid I have ever had the pleasure of teaching. More on him a little later.)
Christopher (sweet, quiet boy who's family is getting baptized on Sunday. His big sister is waiting until May so they can both be baptized by their Dad.)
Eliza (bewitching little fairy full of sweetness and spunk with just a hint of sass. She adores me (she tells me so!) and already has me wrapped around her little finger.)
Macy (along with Abby in the running for Most Perfect Child. I had Macy's little sister Haley last year and you know what isn't right? God sent TWO perfect little angels to that family. Somebody hand me a rattle, because I am about to have a tantrum and shout THAT'S NOT FAIR!)
Sam (as cute as he is smart, but also as spazzy as he is smart. He is a genius and he can't sit still. I just hope I'm still around when he grows up and gets married, because I think it will be fun to tell him that he had an incurable case of St. Vitus' dance* as a child, also known as ants in pants. I mean, who doesn't love to be reminded of their childhood behavior?)

The award for this week's most awesome moment came courtesy of Alex during Sharing Time. We had just finished practicing my new favorite song I Know That My Savior Loves Me. I literally had chills on my arms at the end because the words to that song are just that good. Alex, sitting next to me, notices my arm with the hair standing on end and is concerned:

Alex: Sister Konchar! What happened to your arm?
Me: Oh, I just got the chills listening to everyone sing that song.
Alex: (thinking)....So...the song made your hair on your arms grow?!.....(thinking harder and earnestly questioning what he is seeing)....Or do you just always have Hairy Man Arms?
Me:.......

See, I told you. Awesome.

*A shout out to my friends in the dance dept. And that Cathy Black never thought I was listening!

4 comments:

rebecca said...

Did you burst out laughing?! I've got tears reading this.
I love your title for this b/c I have a special place in my heart for this class too. Helping kids their baptism year is such an honor. Sounds like you've got a great class. (Grace would be on your roster if we were in the same ward).

Christi said...

Adorable... and oh the memories of high school dance team conjured by your last comment. Different Cathy, I know, but hilarious stories. Miss you tons! X Christi

shayla said...

They are so lucky to have you, hairy man arms or not:) I once shaved mine because they, too, are hairy man arms.

J & M Shumate Family said...

I haven't read your blog in a while. You are too too funny! I can't stop laughing!!!