Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Hillbillie Christmas OR Be Careful What You Wish For

Christmas was great, except for the flood part on Christmas Eve. At 11:15 pm I went down to Pie's office in the basement and stepped into a puddle of water. A puddle of water created from a leak in the basement ceiling. Pie turned off the water main, we both moped as we mopped up the water and then went upstairs to finish playing Santa. Bummer.

Christmas morning was great, as long as we didn't need to wash our hands or flush a toilet. We soldiered on though, and in the process learned the true meaning of Christmas: indoor plumbing.

And then later on something happened that made us think back to that leaky pipe on Christmas Eve and laugh at our own overblown reaction to a minor household disaster. And that something was this: An entire basement flooded in several inches of water on Christmas night.

As I mentioned earlier, Pie's office is in the basement. His office includes two printers, two file cabinets, two large and expensive pieces of quality office furniture and of course the computer. All sprayed down by a busted pipe shooting out water from the ceiling at about a bajillion gallons per second. Major bummer.

Funny thing. We were supposed to leave the day after Christmas for a week visiting friends and family in SLC. For at least a week Pie and I were arguing about when we were going to leave for this trip. I kept pushing for a Sunday-after-Sacrament Meeting or early-Monday-morning departure. Pie was adamant about leaving Saturday morning. Well, the Christmas Flood made the decision for us. We will leave Tuesday morning instead, after the claims guy shows up. I won, and let me tell you, I've never been sadder to get my way.

Hope your holidays were merry and bright, and that your plumbing was in working order. Because every time you flush a toilet, an angel gets it's wings.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Oh, my friend. That is so dang horrible. I am so sorry.

shayla said...

If it makes you feel any better (and I know it won't), I know exactly how you feel. We've been there done that about 10 x in our Utah home and it just gets better and better every time. Especially when carpet is also involved:) Thank heavens for cool insurance and the fact that you gave LOTS of angel wings this year.

nik said...

I was missing you at church today and am thrilled to hear you are on a fun trip and sad you have to come home to crisis!!! If you need help when you get here you have our number ")

SpaceyKasey said...

Tragic! Oh, so tragic.

But also really funny the way you put it. If it's sympathy you're going for you gotta stop being so darn humorous.

Carrie said...

Hey you! I did not realize you had another blog....I have been missing all this great stuff! You brighten my day everytime I visit! I am sorry about your bummer plumming! Oh well, you created a memory that will be treasured for years to come! I will visit often!

Adrienne said...

I read this and literally cried NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
No, no no. You are way too funny about way crappy events. And then you STILL made the trek to end all treks, which not only gives YOU angel wings, I think you get sainthood.