Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

As far as Mother's Day's go, today had long stretches of fine, punctuated by moments of unalloyed joy and the occasional flare up of seething rage. I consider that a successful Mother's Day. To have a day filled only with disappointment and despair would be a real bummer, yet receiving the gift of the perfect day--full of raptures and enchantment--would only set up future Mother's Day's for failure. I am all about reasonable amounts of happiness and by that standard, today was perfect.

A week or so ago I mentioned on Facebook that I don't "get" edible bouquets. I mean, what is the point of sending someone fruit? I'm no fruit hater, but you know what? We aren't living in the late 1800's. Fruit is not some rare gift like it appears to be to the people of River City, Iowa, waiting on the Wells Fargo train to bring them their raisins from Fresno in the musical The Music Man. Fruit is part of your average trip to the corner grocery, just like light bulbs and baby wipes. If someone sent me a bouquet of skewered fruit I would be disappointed. Now, a dozen long-stemmed jelly filled? Hold me!

Well, that cute boy I like noticed my innocent little remarks and do you know what I received this morning for Mother's Day?


It...was...awesome.
The best part is, everyone got to enjoy it with me. Look at how excited Tommy was at breakfast!

Actually, he really was excited. We all were! (Thanks, Jen, for helping Pie actualize my dream.)

A quick recap of other events of the day:
I didn't get to teach my Little Ladies today because I had to go to RS instead. They made me. RS was nice, it's just, you know me--I would rather cut/paste/color/chit chat with my girls than sit quietly and act like a grownup. Plus singing makes my face hurt and do you know what? We sang three really long songs. The practice hymn took like forever to sing! Our Primary songs are way shorter. And better.
Pie took Tommy out 7 times during Sacrament meeting, which was really nice. It gave me plenty of uninterrupted time to listen to the speakers while I played with Josie's hair and helped Sid with some churchy-themed word searches. Have I ever told you I love word searches?
Halfway through Sacrament Meeting, Tommy, Jon, Josie and Calvin all went up to sing two songs with the rest of the Primary children. The first one was that ubiquitous and rather hackneyed "Mother, I Love You". Jon sang the whole thing looking directly at me, and he earnestly meant every word of it. I love that kid. Tommy stood right in front and halfway through the second song, when Josie noticed that Tommy wasn't singing a word--but rather had his grumpy little face held in his hands--she whispered to him to sing. He turned around and yelled at her "I hate this song!" which was not only kind of inappropriately funny but utterly untrue because as we all know, everybody loves "The Family Is of God".
At the end of the meeting we women all received our miniature box of chocolates. It was just what the doctor ordered.
Lunch was sandwiches and lots and lots of donuts.
I had a two hour nap. It was fantastic while it lasted, but now I'm wondering if I'll ever fall asleep tonight.
Dinner at my mom's house was great as usual. Jon peed again (also as usual, unfortunately of late) and missed out on dessert, instead berating himself out in the car for half an hour. It was (probably) this episode I was referring to up in my introductory paragraph when I mentioned something about seething rage....
Josie and Jon gave me matching miniature terra cotta pots, filled with coffee beans and a flower pen. Jon's note of Appreciation for My Mother included thanks for the many ways I help him. Josie's note mentioned my love for her and her five brothers. When I asked her how many brothers she has, she was quick to say four but that she wanted another brother. Not only is that wish unlikely to be fulfilled, I doubt she even wants another brother.
Tonight as I was snuggling Tommy in his bed I asked him if he liked the birthday cake I had made for Uncle Mark (lemon cake and lemon frosting, per Mark's request. The lemon curd filling was my own little creative touch) and Tommy quietly said,
"No."
"The cake was yucky." (Holding his little racing jet toy.)
"And too spicy." (Ever-so-gently sticking the "nose" of the jet toy up my nose.)
"And too yucky."
I like being the mommy. It's funny. And fun. And wonderful. And terrible.
I hope you enjoyed Mother's Day too.

3 comments:

rebecca said...

I'm so glad you had a good mother's day. I thought of you and sent wishes mid-day...did you get them? That donut bouquet couldn't have been more tailor made. I'm going to make one for the last day of school for my kids (& me:)).

shayla said...

I can't think of a better, more thoughtful Mother's Day bouquet made just for Julie. Love it! Hooray for hubbys that help take that seething rage away:)

Sara said...

I think I have told the "I hate this song" story at least seven times. Thanks for making me a funnier person Julie. Who knew the act of being a mother would bring blessings to your cousin's wife? Now that deserves a celebration.