Since the word is starting to get around, I thought I'd say it here on the blog, all official-like:
The Konchars are moving at the end of May.
(a picture of the elderly, sorting our kitchen)

We are leaving our great and spacious house (with its monumental mortgage) and downsizing. It's a sign of the times, I guess. Real estate was extremely slow this past winter, and we felt the wake-up call. Spring is definitely picking up but ever since we made the decision to move back to Cheetah Chase (we had wonderful renters for 3 years) we have felt the peace that comes from knowing we are making the right choice. The right choice, but not necessarily the easy choice. Leaving our current ward will be the hardest part for me. I love where I am serving and each time I think of saying goodbye to my Little Ladies I get teary. But we will be going back to the other half of our ward (it was split 2 1/2 years ago) in Heritage Park, and we are excited to be reunited with so many old friends.
Moving back into a house that we grew out of 3 years ago will be interesting. And of course by interesting you know I mean decidedly annoying. I like to remind myself that the Europeans have been living like this for generations--and we all know how delicious their chocolates are! I don't really know how this relates to my situation, but, whatever. We feel lucky to have an option.
I am not looking forward to actually moving. It is something I dread. What with all the packing and the cleaning and the covert throwing away of the children's superfluous belongings. I almost feel like I have to pare every thing down to the point where it will fit into a covered wagon. Am I sounding a little melodramatic about this? I don't mean to be. Just to review:
I am grateful we have the option to downsize.
I will miss my kitchen, my central vac and my backyard.
I will not miss the extra 3200 square feet when it comes to cleaning.
I will miss the extra 3200 square feet when it comes to time-outs, especially my own.
I don't even want to think about the amount of work that awaits us next month.
The kids are excited.....which leads me agree with the studies which state that the brain of a child isn't fully capable of rational thought until the age of 22.

10 comments:
Yes, it's a good thing that you have that option, but I hear you about the not-fun-ness of the situation. We've never had movers, and just the thought of sifting through our things, packing, unpacking, re-organizing, etc.... is draining. Certainly your Iron Woman strength will help you through. And how great that your kids are up for this. I hope the transition is smooth and that this all turns around for the better soon.
Oh darlin', how I hate the mess movin' makes. When we moved to Waco during the great let's-sell-everything-and-go-to-graduate-school idea of 2003, we downsized...A LOT. I got rid of so much stuff because I was paranoid about being crammed into a small house with all of our effluvia. It ended up being great because, let's be honest, effluvia is a pain in the nether regions. I'm glad the kids are excited. Let me know if you need me to fly to CO and eat really fattening foods with you. I'll be available May 18th.
I'm so proud of you--brimming with joy reading you spill it all...I agree about the Iron Woman Strength thing. You will see all the little tender mercies along the way--so many blessings in store for the Konchars back in the 'new and improved' dollhouse. How's the new and improved part coming along?
Wow. What a huge deal. (Don't say unrequited--it's not true.)
NOOOOOOOOOO! Well, at least you'll still be close and we'll be in the same building still. I'll miss my little Jos.
I would totally come. And I'll wear a red carnation at the airport so you'll know who I am.
Or, scratch that, I'll be holding a cheesecake and half a dozen cupcakes.
Let's call Kelly and ask her if she can come.
I wish I lived closer so I could help!! That is huge news for all of you -- moving 2 blocks away or whatever notwithstanding. If you need to send some kids to Kansas just to get some space this summer, seriously, send 'em our way. If they get too lonely, they can walk the 8 hours back :).
Well, darn. I'm sorry for the amount of work in front of you. But I'm glad you have a place to go. But if you didn't have a place to go, you could move with us to Bloomington. We'd cramp ourselves into a corner of the tiny (and I mean tiny) condo and sew ourselves happy with Amy B and Anna Marie!
I hope it all goes well.
Jewels... I sympathize with you, moving can be arduous and this economy is stinky. Wish I lived closer; I'd help you for sure! We're in a transitional place right now too 'cause the owner of our building wants to evict everyone to turn these apartments into condos. There are four occupants left, down from twelve. We'll talk. Anyway, I really think you're going to feel mighty liberated - that in itself is such a blessing. Love, Christi
I'm so sorry to hear this!! Though I have such fond memories of your cheetah chase house (Cally and the twins--birthdays, etc.). I would love to come and help. Let me know when you need some help and I can drive down. Remember...no school on fridays!! And I feel the same as Adrienne...send the kids up our way and we can have them here so you can get work done if that would be more helpful. Matt can bring them with him on his way back (I'll tell him later that I offered his services). Plus, it's a much closer walk back if they get bored:).
Post a Comment