
This here is a picture of me and Heather Birrell sitting on Santa's lap in December of 1982. We are 11. Behind us on the left is Jennifer Cochron (who in sending me this picture must have known that I would have posted it for the world to see, so therefore has given her consent. Heather, I know you were an innocent bystander in all of this, so I can only plead for your forgiveness and ask that you NOT post any old pictures you may have of me on your blog in retaliation). Jennifer and I aren't sure who the other girl is, but if anyone out there in Blogland knows, please feel free to tell us so that she can join in this public shamefest--although she appears in this picture to be less embarrassingly dressed than the rest of us.
A few things I hope you will note about this picture:
1) How old do you have to be before you are too old to sit on Santa's lap? I think we were both about 2 years too old. Guessing by my posture even the 11 year old me knows I am too old--note how I am not really sitting but rather leaning awkwardly against Old Saint Nick.
2) Hair seems to have been an issue. Jennifer's mullet was self-inflicted. Lots of long lanky bangs were all the rage....
3) The blue cotton OP pants (I believe they were from the boys department) were purchased out at the outlet hut in Sanger, and matched a canary yellow pair that I dearly, dearly loved. Of course everyone knows that day-glo yellow shouldn't be worn after....never....so I went with the much more seasonally appropriate LEGO blue. Heather's turquoise cords were awesome. (Heather, this picture of you laughing is exactly how I remember you. Always laughing.)
4) Check out my slip on Vans! We wore lots of Vans, I remember. Because we skated so much.....(that was sarcasm)
I also had a pair of Kicks just like Heather's. Oh Jennifer, if only we could see your feet in this picture.
5) Can anyone else see a resemblance between me and a certain child of mine named Jon? Jon while wearing a long, tangled wig? Because I think we could be twins, tight-lipped grins and all.

7 comments:
I agree with you 100%. About Jon looking exactly like you. That was the first thing I though when I first checked out your blog and saw his picture. He is a true Pedersen. I just want to say that I love this picture of you. Very stylish!
Yep, I can see the twinner thing, absolutely. The long mullets are hilarious. My sister had one...right after the Dorothy Hammill haircut.
Yeah, or you could be my twin...although I was somewhat more partial to the knickerbockers.
Oh! Kinckerbockers! How Somewhere In Time!
ps. Darn that Miss Kim--it's the snacks, isn't it? I don't stand a chance without the snacks!
SEE?! This is why you intimidated me!! You just proved you were the COOL cuzzin -- VANS, OP pants...man. And Jon looks a TON like you! I ne'er sar it before. And I'm pretty sure my 30 year old companion on my mission was WAY too old to sit on Santa's lap, but...well. You know.
adrienne- but you guys were the SMART cousins. and that will make you MUCH MORE MONEY in the long run then us just being cool. look at all of us now.. everyone but kjell is in the creative field (julie's job as a blogger and mom is def. in the creative field i think) so basically, we're all destined to be starving artists :)
i hadn't gotten to point 5 before i called nic over to show him how much you looked like jon. i mentioned the toothless grin and then i read the next paragraph and felt ashamed.. i should have just kept reading- i thought i was making a discovery all on my own!
Oh dear....I was quite shocked to see THAT particular picture in your blog! My tears of laughter have somewhat superceded the blushes of shame though.
My navy slacks (yes, my mother's sense of style was severly lacking, hence my penchant for hair mutilation)were more than likely paired with some nifty Nike knock-offs from Kenny shoe store. Remember that place?
To Heather I can only offer my profound apologies for unleashing an unsanctioned photo of you into the hands of a clearly unstable woman!
Post a Comment