Yesterday during Primary, I said a bad word. And I didn't even mean to. Heck, I didn't even know it was a bad word. Good thing my Little Ladies were there to tell me what's what.
Me: Little Miss E, please don't stand on your chair. You could fall down and hurt your noggin.
Miss E and Miss M were absolutely shocked. Miss M sat clucking her tongue while Miss E said: That is a bad word.
Me: No. Noggin isn't a bad word, it's just a nickname for your head!
Miss E: It is too a bad word. Noggin is this. (As she points to a general area of the body generally believed to be "bad". Yes, this is the same girl who used the word weiner correctly in a sentence a few weeks ago. That Miss E! So knowledgeable.)
Miss M, clearly shocked and appalled: I am telling my mom that you said a bad word in Primary.
Me, laughingly unwilling to even address what body part they have gotten noggin confused with: Noooo, it is not a bad word. I'm quite sure NOGGIN means your head.
Both Miss E and Miss M are gobsmacked. Miss A (also in attendance) was decidedly unruffled by the discussion. I can only imagine how the dinner conversations went at their homes last night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Mmm, I shock DEREK all the time with my lang'age. I'm realizing not all the words my dad said should have necessarily entered my vocab. Ah, vell. Next time call their head MELONS and see what happens!
I can't believe that you also used the word "****." ("****" stands for "gobsmacked", but I'm too proper to actually write it). One thing you should also never do is try to say the phrase "sitting in Sharing Time" too quickly. An unfortunate switching of "s" and "sh" got me some incredulous looks from quite a few junior primary teachers during one of my sharing time lessons. The children, obviously already quite knowledgeable about bad words even at such a young age, did not even blink.
I kinda heart you and your primary class. :)
Awww, thanks Miss L.
Oh man, Julie, I hope you called each parent to apologize!
That is too funny. I wish Jenna Dear could be one of your little ladies, too!
As in, "Look at the Noggin on that thing!"?????? {said with an English accent} Classic!
As the proud mother of Miss M, I have to say - welcome to the word police. And she still thinks you're the best teacher in the world - next to Miss Kim.
Does it blow their minds that there is an entire kids channel with a "bad name"?
Post a Comment