Thursday, January 1, 2009

Another Amazing New Year's Eve



Continuing a long legacy of pretty much lame New Year's Eve celebrations, we spent last night watching a movie neither of us wanted to see. We couldn't find anything in our tube storage (oh yes, we now have DISH and can DVR things whenever) that we were excited about. I mentioned to Pie we could watch Marie Antoinette, having recorded it months ago with the notion I would be impressed by the period costumes. The costumes were impressive (if not upstaged by the pastries) but the whole thing was rather bor-ing. And yet we watched it all. Maybe we were hoping that halfway through Sophia Coppola would be replaced and someone else would begin directing a better movie. It didn't happen.

I am convinced that New Year's Eve is a holiday strictly for the Young or Tipsy. I can stay up past midnight anytime I want (and often do) and I don't drink, so for me the night is a little over-hyped. Add to that several years where we have had stunningly UNPLEASANT count downs to the new year, and well, can I be blamed for my bad attitude? Just a few lame New Year's that I can remember with out even trying:

Our first New Year's as newlyweds. Pie rents "The Mission", a movie which at the terribly sad and depressing end, hundreds of innocent monks are slaughtered (in slow motion, as the music swells), refusing to fight. Bawled my eyes out. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Our first New Year's as parents of twins: Sid 6, Calvin 2 1/2, Josie and Jon 4 mos. No body will let me do what I want (which is to stay home, sleep) and so I am forced against my will to party. Seriously, it was like the ward project to get me out of the house "for my own good". We stayed out late at a dance. Remember me? The girl with the noise and crowd issues? I don't know what makes me angrier--doing something I really didn't want to do, or allowing others to force me to do something I really didn't want to do.

Two years ago we decide to host a New Year's party. We never host parties. But we thought, what the heck? We invited people we know and like. No body came. Even the two friends who RSVP'd that very day, saying they would come, didn't. It is possible I still need therapy for this one.

So now that I have thought about it, I think we did alright this New Year's. I mean, at least I didn't cry hysterically or anything.