Yes, yet another post about Halloween, this one full of ooey gooey sentiment about a holiday that most grown-ups resent but that I happen to adore. Just some of the things I love about Halloween:
I love Redstone Elementary. The school has a parade each Halloween and the kids spend 1/2 hour marching through the halls looking at each other and showing their costumes to the principal. Plus all the Halloween class parties. Some schools are dumb and don't celebrate this important holiday. But not our school!
I love that everyone at school dresses up. Principal Wilson was an Angel Princess (I should note, Principal Wilson is a woman), Assistant Principal Puga was Belle (also a woman), my favorite office ladies, Ms. Polly and Ms. Kathy were dressed up as princesses as well. How adorable are they?

(and now for the part of the post that refuses to conform to my formatting wishes)
I love Redstone Elementary. The school has a parade each Halloween and the kids spend 1/2 hour marching through the halls looking at each other and showing their costumes to the principal. Plus all the Halloween class parties. Some schools are dumb and don't celebrate this important holiday. But not our school!
I love that everyone at school dresses up. Principal Wilson was an Angel Princess (I should note, Principal Wilson is a woman), Assistant Principal Puga was Belle (also a woman), my favorite office ladies, Ms. Polly and Ms. Kathy were dressed up as princesses as well. How adorable are they?
(and now for the part of the post that refuses to conform to my formatting wishes)
I love trick or treating with my kids. Every year I demand to be the one that takes the kids around the neighborhood. Thankfully Pie obliges and gladly stays home giving out candy and watching sports/political commentary unbothered by me. I will stay out as long as common decency and my childrens' patience will allow. This year was very unseasonably warm and so the evening was wonderful, but I have also been known to march around the neighborhood in temperatures below freezing, keeping myself warm with pockets full of candy snitched from the buckets of my unsuspecting children.
I love watching for all the adorable/scary/clever costumes on the neighborhood kids. Everyone is out admiring each others costumes. This year it was fun to hear all the adults call out "Hey SpongeBob!" and all the little bitty 1 and 2 year olds shout "Santa!" with glee.
I love all the decorations and the focus on candy. Candy is important to me.
And of course I love thinking up all the ways to make SpongeBob, Patrick and Super Granny into actual costumes. So far next year we have The Gingerbread Man (for Josie) and maybe Nacho Libre (for Calvin). Who knows! They will probably change their minds by Christmas.
I love Halloween.

9 comments:
Halloween: What's not not to love?
I know! But some people.
Our kids had little parties at school, but no costume parades. I esp. love the costumes that the kids love so much they live in them for days and days, thus shrinking my laundry duties exponentially. We missed the boat on that one with Grace and Caroline this year, but I'll be whipping up some awesome dress-ups for Christmas. Thomas is Anikan today, and Christina? She's 12 and knows better:)
Thanks for sharing your wit and love for Halloween. Seriously, it's like a little of your Halloween charming dust has come my way...my kids thank you too!
i think its rather satanic, but thats just me. i've often been referred to as the "good one" out of us two.
haha.. kidding.
your kids are so freaking cute. their cousins (our kids) are going to be so jealous.
I'm very glad that your school has the sense to celebrate Halloween in the traditional sense. But try not to wave it in the faces of those whose schools are too progressive for such fun.
I, too, seem to have more stamina for trick-or-treating than my children do. Not too many kids trick-or-treat in our older neighborhood, so I kinda see it as our duty to reward all those who keep the faith and still go through the trouble of stocking their candy bowls. What, I ask you, could be more rewarding than the visit of my darling, costumed children?
Oh, I adore your costumes. I want to be Super Granny next year! Come to think of it I want to be super Granny in real life.
You done good, kid. YOu done right good like.
P.S. WHile I would absolutely LOVE to take a slight detour to CO on the way to CA I don't think my pilot will cooperate. And if I try to use coercion the Air National Guard may shoot the plane down. Messy. Thank you for the generous offer, though.
Halloween buddy,
are you REALLY driving through here in May or are you just toying with me?!! Give me the truth. I can take it.
I love your Jos! Her spunkiness is just to die for. It was more fun when our schools would let us celebrate--here it's just 'pajama day' because of all those religions that don't celebrate halloween. Our class party was 'fall celebration'...it is a pretty lame thing. Gotta love those halloween parades at school though.
My oh my are these kids lucky to have such a creative mom who eats nothing but health kit cats all day and sews imaginative costumes. No wonder you were working so hard at the rec center.
Post a Comment