The idea for the Super Granny costume sprang to life in the mind of Josie sometime during the summer. She would often say to me
I'm going to be Super Granny for Halloween! and then go on to tell me about some particular regarding her costume. Sometimes she would describe a crocheted shawl--sometimes old lady shoes--but she never wavered on her need for a grey wig and spectacles. By the time September rolled around and we were heavy into costume negotiations, she was sure that Super Granny would wear a cape and boots--and a muscle shirt--to be worn under the costume. It was my idea to make Super Granny wear a skirt. Josie had wanted more of a unitard-type look, something I was completely opposed to. Anyway, I sewed the skirt and immediately realized that I had created more of an ice skater costume than anything. Thank goodness for the grey wig. Without it, Josie's long blonde hair and muscular little body (even without the muscle padding) made her a dead ringer for Tonya Harding.
Tina Yothers, watch out!
I like to hope that our little Super Granny is much more agreeable than the girl who had Nancy Kerrigan taken out with a crowbar (oh Nancy, so completely unlikeable in your own right as well!), even though Josie and Tonya do share more than a few characteristics.
While out trick or treating last night, we happened upon a house way up the street where a little old grandma opened the door. She was so sweet and took her time passing out candy to my kids, commenting on all of their costumes in a warbly old lady voice. I was immediately impressed that she knew just who SpongeBob was. As my kids were leaving, Josie turns to her and says "I think old people are full of wisdom and experience, (and then pointing to her grey wig) that's why I chose to be Super Granny for Halloween!" Dear, sweet Josie, she obviously felt the need to tell this woman--Hey! I notice you are really old and I think that's great!

Look! Another agreeable old person with the exact same hair!

5 comments:
I think your super granny is full of wisdom and the experience will come! What a cutie with muscles and all. Maybe she also just really loves her grandmas and wanted to be like them.
no, shay.. that couldn't be it.
haha i'm kidding. mom is quite lovable and so is Grace.
Josie looks adorable as usual. And, as Christi pointed out on the phone with me the other day- she looks just like me!
what did the old, wise woman say to back to Josie?
Oh my heavens, what an awesome costume! I love how Josie is workin' it too. If I was the granny down the street, I would have laughed my head off at Josie's comment. I would have felt a little empowered too...lol. Gotta love straight talkin' Josie.
I wish I could hang out in your mond for a few hours to see how things work. I mean, where do you come up with this stuff? So stinkin' funny.
Oh that Josie! Talking to the real grandma! I love her.
And Tommy's hands will probably still be green by next Halloween, so you might as well give him the whole bottle and let him be the Hulk. Right?
I love Halloween, too.
Post a Comment