Monday, November 3, 2008

Weekend Update

A few items of business from the weekend:

Saturday I ate absolutely nothing but Halloween candy from the moment I woke up. I confined myself mostly to the lower-calorie KitKat, because I feel good when I make healthy choices for my body like that. But I also had a few Butterfingers. Crispety, crunchity, peanut-buttery Butterfingers. The fresh ones, the ones that are really delicate and nearly fall apart in your mouth as you carefully nibble off all the chocolate first--those are absolutely divine. Am I right? So after consuming obscene amounts of chocolate candy, I put on my running shoes and went out for a run. And do you know what? I had TONS of energy. And I didn't even throw up. I think marathon runners could take a training tip or two from my "breakfast of champions" approach.

Then later, this happened:


It was an unfortunate flag football incident. And the timing was horrible! A day earlier and Pie could have been Harry Potter for Halloween.

And then Sunday I made this incredible frosted confection:


Because who doesn't want birthday cake 2 days after Halloween? Tommy would have been disappointed if we didn't have a cake for his birthday. Well, maybe he wouldn't have noticed, but the rest of the kids would have. A proper birthday post for Tommy will be coming to the monkey blog soon, wherein you can further inspect this glorious work of cake art. I would say at this point that I don't "do" cakes, but I figured you already noticed that.

And for those of you who enjoy this sort of thing: Another profound conversation with Jos. Sunday night she came to me to complain: "I am sick of everybody saying that donuts make you fat! I love donuts! I want to eat them every day. But now I just feel bad about them!"So I told her "As you get older, you will find that many foods will make you feel bad. That's how you'll know when you are finally a woman".

4 comments:

the binghams. said...

haha that last little tidbit was awesome. poor pie, nice cake.

happy birthday little tommy munchkin! we love you and all the bad things you do!

Adrienne said...

Oh Julie, such wisdomosity. One of the most depressing things I heard was when Marjorie Hinckley said "When I was 80, I decided it was time to stop counting calories". Is there anything in life more depressing than NOT downing a donut now and again? Or again and again and again? SERIOUSLY.

rebecca said...

I will never count calories or fat grams because it makes me more obsessed with food. It's true...you usually can tell what is good for you by how it effects your body. I think it's great that Josie is seeing the joy of donuts while she can. Last time I splurged on donuts, my kids were hungry and grouchy as soon as the sugar and such processed. I explained that THIS shows why donuts and milk are not the breakfast of champs, but it's quite all right to celebrate once in a while. They unanimously agreed.
PS. Tommy's cake looks like nearly EVERY cake I've ever made for my kids. LOL!

kacy faulconer said...

Thanks for sharing that beautiful moment between mother and daughter. I eat a lot of donuts all the time and have noticed no side effects, except for happiness. Tell her.