Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Best Homemade Golf Gifts, OR Why I Love My Feedjit

I would like to point your attention to my feedjit. There it is, over on the other side of my blog. Right below my very informative profile. Do you think it is too informative? Hmm...I wonder.... I got this feedjit because I am curious by nature and I wanted to know who is coming over to look at all of my poignant, heartfelt prose on barf and food colored toddlers and poop and pee and whatnot. And boy, does my feedjit deliver! Every time I pull up my blog page I do a thorough scan of my feedjit list and take note of any visitors. And whenever there is a visit from someone from google.com or ask.com or the like, I just have to click on them because, guess what? Feejit actually tells me what they typed into the search engine that brought them to my blog! It is so interesting!

Lately there have been many people interested in my chats about Halloween costumes. Also, my irrational vs. rational fears post sees a bit of action too. But if I have one literary offering that garners more interest than any of the others (and I do not mean to brag) it is my post from last November (http://juliekonchar.blogspot.com/2007_11_01_archive.html) describing Josie's homemade golf ball gift project. Maybe you are not aware of the incredible interest this post has caused, but--thanks to Feedjit--I am! You would not believe how many people online are wanting some good ideas for these homemade presents. If I was looking to start a home business, I'm pretty sure it would involve homemade golf gifts. (But I'm not, so totally feel free to capitalize on this little entrepreneurial tip.) Personally, I find the idea that some people actually type in "homemade golf balls" totally hilarious. I mean, can you imagine trying to play golf with a homemade ball? What, are these people stranded on Gilligan's Island? I don't need to play golf (and believe me, I don't) to know that a homemade ball won't work.

But that's not all that feedjit brings to my joy. I also find it fun to see when y'all come over. All my pals in Florida and Utah and Idaho and Kansas and Massachussetts and California. And then there are those regulars I don't even know. Some of you visit again and again, and yet never introduce yourselves. Why is that? I see you appear on my feedjit so often, I feel like we should have been friends for a while now, and yet you are too shy to tell me about yourselves. For you, I have taken the liberty to invent your identity. Such as:

Fargo, SD: You are a sweet old grandma of Swedish descent who works at a craft store. You use company time to check my latest posts, but you always get to work earlier than any body else and you are the only one who takes your turn cleaning the restroom without complaint, so nobody really minds. Plus you bring in your delicious molasses cookies every Friday. (Stephen hates those cookies, btw.)

Chula Vista, CA via bastianbunchblog: You are a totally hip California momma with 4 children (ages 2-14) and your husband is in the military. You used to work part time at Crate and Barrel, just for the discount. You are one of the teachers in RS, but you secretly wish you could be the person in charge of the bulletin board.

United States: You are an older, matronly, recently married woman who works full time at a mid-sized paper supply company in Scranton. Your new husband is the owner of a refrigeration company, and you have just been promoted to the head of the party planning committee at work. Your boss is an idiot.

Isn't online friendship fun?

But back to the original theme of this post--which is to poke fun at those homemade golf gifts people. I wonder how many of them who are earnest in their search for these gifts get to my blog and are like, "This post about homemade golf gifts is total junk. What a disappointment!" Well, now that I have titled this post "The best homemade golf gifts" there ought to be more disgruntled searchers than ever, especially as we get closer to Christmas and Hanukkah and the other, more improvised holidays. So watch for them, like I do. Isn't this fun?

This is an actual golf gift basket from creativegiftbasketsfromtheheart.com. Maybe if you are serious about making your own homemade golf gift basket, I suppose you could go there and find a really nice one like this that you could totally copy on your own.

10 comments:

the binghams. said...

i love that you made up identities- i disagree with you. i would rather NOT know the people who blog-stalk us. i find it a little odd. one girl posts comments occasionally about my "cute preggo belly" and the such and it is just plain creepy. i say, if you don't know the people and you are constantly reading their blogs (which is fine, i do it too!) then keep yourself under the radar. no comments. nothing.

Julie K said...

I always TRY to keep under the radar, I just never can. You are much better at covert and sneaky than I am.

the binghams. said...

hahaha... i can't believe you said that! I will have to remember that when you have a secret you want to tell me but then you say: oh wait, you are Kirsten, you suck at keeping secrets. I'll just say: noooooo i am WAY better at staying under the radar than you are! you told me that on 7/11/08.

boohahhah!

Sara said...

What? Adrienne gets a shout out in Kansas, but Indiana is left out in the cold?

I love this post. I have often wondered about going public, just to see if I could get random readers.

But then I'm not half as funny or a quarter as entertaining as Julie Konchar, who used to be Julie Pedersen.

Julie K said...

I only did that because I knew you would mention it! Thanks for the comments of a complementary nature, and just so you know, I always find your posts delightful and charming AND funny. So there.

the binghams. said...

yeah Sara, you are way funny. i am glad only a select few get to read it. we are proud to be your followers. Julie loves it when I write comments on her blog that don't involve her at all.

Adrienne said...

Ooooh snap, Sara! A Kansas shoutout!
Julie, I have to admit. After the July brouhaha, I completely forgot the name of your blog, your email, everything. And then, floating dimly in my consciousness, I thought "homemade golf balls". I googled it, and you were NUMBER ONE! And my life has been happier and more fulfilled ever since, since I'm laughing a LOT more.

TNIRYAN said...

I have to say, that I HAVE noticed your feedjit, and I totally keep intending on adding it to my blog, because I am very curious about who might be reading my blog as well, but since my posts keep taking me two hours to produce(entertaining doesn't come quickly to me), I run out of time. Soon though. . . soon.

And then once I do it, I can make up great identities for my no-longer-secret stalkers just like you. Or I can find out that absolutely no one cares about my discussions on poop and pee and such (or to be more accurate, they wouldn't care if I ever actually did discuss poop and pee--maybe I should do more of that). Then I can snuggle back into my warm hole of invisibility, and it can feel like high school all over again. Ahhh . . . the memories.

rebecca said...

I just added stat counter...it gives a little more info and might help with making up identities. I'm with you on the commenting. I have to put my 2 cents in more times than not. But you probably knew that;)

shayla said...

...and yet where are the masses? After that funny introduction to themselves...they don't even confess! Are you able to do a google search on yourself and is that why you get like 500 visitors a day? You should write a column...no really.