Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Peculiarity, Idiosyncracy

A while back Rebecca posted 6 quirks and asked her weirdest blogging friends to do the same. While I always enjoy reading these types of posts from other people, I found myself reluctant to participate in Rebecca's tag. Because even though I clearly love to publicly reveal all sorts of personal/embarrassing items about myself in a blog setting, I find the use of the word "quirk" to be off-putting. I mean, what if my quirks are more neurotic than quirky? What if they are not even quirks, but worrisome medical conditions, like my disruptive nightly hallucinations? What if my quirks are so boring and pedestrian that everybody reading this is like "Yeah, who doesn't like eating French's Fried Onions on their Kraft Macaroni and Cheese? This girl is lame!"

Well, in light of all that, here are my 6 most quirky quirks, hopefully they'll do:

1. I only drink water. Really. I hate milk (unless it comes with cookies) and juice makes my stomach hurt. I would probably be interested in the popular Coke/Pepsi/Sprite thing, if I didn't suffer since childhood from a very pathetic condition I have self-diagnosed: hiccupitis. Whenever I take even ONE SIP of anything carbonated, I immediately begin to hiccup. If I am out having pizza and everyone is enjoying tall glasses of root beer, I feel really sad about my condition. Otherwise, I don't usually care. Thankfully, it is only the drinks that afflict me. I am still able to enjoy Bottle Caps and those little root beer candies at Claim Jumper without reprisals!2. I cannot hardly look at double-decker buses. I am afraid they will tip over. Don't they look tippy? Sometimes my stomach hurts even just watching city buses make left turns. I love roller coasters but you won't catch me on a double-decker bus!

3. I love watching DVD's but the movie isn't over until I have watched all the outtakes, extended scenes and the entire movie over again with the director's commentary. And don't even get me started on "the making of" extra footage. (One of the best movies to watch all the extras on is Best In Show.)
4. I have to watch the needle. Even when it is going into somebody else. (Ten bucks Rebecca totally froked when she read this!)
5. I am an adrenaline addict, only I am also Super Chicken. I love all kinds of roller coasters and spinny rides (I heart the tea cups and such) but don't expect me to put up with your fast driving on the freeway. So going fast/and or spinning around is only appealing to me when I know I'm safe. Like on a ride at an amusement park. I really think those spinny things the astronauts train in sound like a fun way to spend an afternoon, however, I do worry about permanent brain damage from these kinds of contraptions. (Remind me to tell you later about a particularly intense spinning experience I had recently at Jungle Quest, during which I suspect I briefly lost consciousness.)

6. I cannot stand our doorbell ringing. I usually keep a note taped over the doorbell that says Please knock. Still, some people ring the bell. Stupid people.

So. I hope that wasn't too quirky.

12 comments:

rebecca said...

Did you see your epidural needle? I would be impressed/grossed out if you could watch with the help of a mirror.
I'm with you on the DVD thing & the double decker bus thing made me laugh.

Julie K said...

I only saw it before they put it in. That thing is rather upsetting to look at, I will agree.

Sara said...

You are too quirky for me. Consider our friendship over.

kacy faulconer said...

There is no guarantee of safety at amusement parks, just so you know.

Adrienne said...

Oh, that cute quirky Sara. Leaving such cute quirky comments. I KNEW your little quirks would be cute. Such as hiccuping drinking carbonation, vs. say, uncontrollable gas when drinking carbonation. So on a date you'd hiccup and your date would chortle and think what a cute little duck you were. If it were the gas boys, THE GAS!, not such a good outcome.

Julie K said...

Thank goodness that isn't a problem, Adrienne, because something tells me I would have been shameless and listed it anyway. Nope, just hiccups.

the binghams. said...

Julie- you failed to mention the correct way to say the word "hiccup" our mom has always taught us that the correct way is "heecup" and I stand by her!

we should make a list of her quirks next, don't you agree?

TNIRYAN said...

Tim has the same quirk with DVDs and extra footage. And the more and more I continue to consume liquids, the more clearly my body yells that I need water. But the more my body yells for water, the more I crave soda. It's a vicious cycle.

My sister tagged me to list six of my quirks which I have yet to do. I also have the problem of not being able to tell what stuff I do that is quirky. To me, all my actions are completely grounded in common sense. Judy gave me the idea of requesting submissions for my list of quirks. I'm trying to decide if my self esteem can handle it.

BTW--I think a Christmas-themed Halloween would be awesome! The two holidays get so smashed together anyway. I think it would be a scathing social comment on how we completely gloss over the glorious gorge-fest that is Thanksgiving. Or was that not what you were going for? Sorry, I've just gotten to the point that I think everything that people do is intended as a scathing social comment. This comment is actually a scathing social comment about how some blog comments are way too long. J/K

the binghams. said...

I thought of one of mom's quirks. Well, actually my companion at the time emailed me today to remind me of it- i was laughing so hard. remember when i was on my mission and mom gave herself a chemical peel by spreading shampoo all over her face, thinking it was lotion?

that was awesome.

Julie K said...

Okay, I totally thought of that exact episode just TODAY. I am crapping you negative. I was thinking about it, wondering how I could do a loving tribute to Mom about all her funny little doings and sayings.

the binghams. said...

Let's collaborate, it would be our greatest work yet.

shayla said...

I am totally the same about my doorbell--I should have come on over and stole your quirks from you instead of thinking of my own. I'm a water person too...unless dr. pepper is available--but usually never at home; only at a restaurant. And to think...should be be skinny minnies because of this wonderful habit? Somewhere that went wrong....oh maybe it's the lack of getting my butt to the gym... I'll speak for myself I guess, ironwoman.