
I just walked into the kitchen and walked out with a Hershey bar. Normally we do not have candy bars lying about but lately one of our countertops has been laden with all the fixins for s'mores (for Pie's mysterious Realtor purposes--don't ask) and the marshmallows/candy bars/graham crackers make quite a ruckus, calling to me from the kitchen. About 3 times a week Pie notices that more candy bars are gone and demands to know what happened to them, specifically, "Why do these kids keep getting into these candy bars? I told them not to!" Sorry, Dearest, but that is just dumb. I keep reminding him that they are just kids and it's just candy sitting out in plain sight, taunting-like, and it's a Circle of Life kinda thing. I don't tell him that I have been eating them too, but I assume he knows this. Wouldn't it be kind of an obvious assumption? I mean, he's living with the woman who pioneered the Halloween Candy diet, after all. It's my nature.
But here is the weird part. I'm not actually enjoying the bars all that much. And it is not from any feeling of guilt, because trust me, I don't feel at all guilty. No, it's just that Hershey bars aren't all that for me. I mean, they are way better than NOT having a chocolate bar, but lately I find myself just eating them because they are there. I know that someday they won't be and I will be kicking myself that I didn't eat more of them while I had the chance. Because I grew up in a house full of kids and that is just the mindset you are blessed with in a situation like that. You gotta get while the gettn's good.
Most days I limit myself to just the one bar. And there was that whole week recently when merely the idea of chocolate made my mouth feel funny. But that was only one week and when I started eating food again I started on the candy bars again too. Which brings me to my confession: I don't know how to eat like a grown up. I complain a lot about muffin tops and the tight waistbands that allow them to flourish, but every day I make the same stupid choice to eat something that I don't really even enjoy. So who's dumb now?
--I like this picture of a Hershey bar that someone lovingly nibbled into the shape of the state of Kansas. That is, I assume this to be the shape of Kansas. Adrienne?

4 comments:
The other day as I was driving home from College Station, I whipped into Petsmart because, once again, there was not even one piece of dog food left. Poor Indie. I was hungry and a little shaky and in a moment of weakness bought a Snickers bar. I then got back in my car and drove home while eating the Snickers...which I love, love, love. But guess what? After about five minutes I looked down and noticed the candy bar was gone...I couldn't even remember finishing it. Talk about wasted calories. I'm vowing NOT to eat while driving...at least until I get my short term memory back.
I could be your twin in this arena. I would not do so well with S'more supplies laying around. Ours are enough out of the way that I only indulge on occasion, but I have to say s'mores aren't just for camping anymore in my book. I'm not crazy about the plain choc. bar either, but it IS candy, and by golly most of the time I feel like I deserve a treat at the end of the day. Cheers!
Oh a Hershey's bar in the shape of Kansas?! That brings tears to my eyes. Literally. Because I'm an idiot. I decided to be inspired by your fairy tale of losing 30 pounds in 12 weeks, and also my friend Jill who gave up sugar for 40 days for Lent. So I'm on day 10 of no sugar (I'm only trying for 4 weeks) and I'M DYING. If I was a sign seeker, I'd say your chocoKansas bar is telling me to get over myself and go find the biggest Symphony bar there is and EAT THE WHOLE THING. Okay, I have been feeling so sorry for myself over this sugar thing. And it's only been TEN days. I had no idea I am such an addict. But I have a dinner at the Cheesecake Factory along with the BIGGEST slice of turtle cheesecake I can inhale riding on this. Only 18 days to go...oh bleepity bleep. Julie, how the crap did you do no sugar AND a diet?!
Oh Adrienne, you poor little stupid well-intentioned darling girl, you. This Kansas-chocolate bar is Heaven's way of telling you that girls that weigh 105 lbs really shouldn't try to diet. Especially girls with small children like Gulverine and Little Miss Pigtails. Because life is hard and priceless and life takes SUGAR. Really. It do.
Post a Comment