Well, Barfwatch August has finally begun to wind down. Sid was "sick" yesterday and stayed home from school, but I wasn't buying it because he ate like $4 worth of grapes and made himself fried eggs, in addition to Macaroni and Cheese, so how sick could he be? Those of us who were really sick last week still haven't completely made peace with things like "lunch" and "dinner" and "doing the laundry" but we are well past the point when we could get any preferential treatment like Sick Bay, so we just carry on doing our duty with a heart full of resentment and ill humor. Not really! (But mostly.)
Calvin wins this flu bug cycle's award for Outstanding Achievement in the field of Excellence, for throwing up well over SIX times in one night, hitting the bucket each time and not even waking me up! This is a marked improvement over his illness last May, in which he woke in the middle of the night, sat up and then leaned over the end of the bed and deliberately threw up all over the carpet. After eating an entire bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos earlier in the evening. Sometimes as a mother, you just aren't sure if your parenting messages are getting through. I guess my message of "You are NINE. If you ever throw up on the carpet again...." really made an impression on him. So thank you Calvin! You are my favorite child and I love you more than the others who didn't clean up a darn thing.
I guess if I am being honest, I don't actually resent my children for being sick. It's not their fault. In truth, I am bitter about the fact that I didn't eat for almost a week and still made no progress on the muffin top. I deeply resent middle age!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I'm sorry that you guys have been so sick. Calvin is AMAZING--six+ times and he never hit the carpet or bed??! Wow. I am so impressed. Our David is on day #2 with this stomach flu bug, and we've stopped counting how many times food/liquid comes back up or goes right through him. All I have to say is that I'm glad that I have a washer and dryer--I don't know what I would do if I didn't. We've washed and rewashed everything so many times. We're now to the point where we are NOT putting any more clothes on the kid. He's "diaper nakey" as you refer to it until things stay down for more than five minutes.
Good job Calvin! Moms LOVE it when you throw up in the bucket! ;)
I am sorry you guys have been sick. I wish you a much better, and healthier September!
Yay Calvin! Darling, if your muffin has gone missing, maybe there warn't a muffin to begin with.
And the infamous stomach virus marches on! We got hit with that in the middle of our vacation last month (see blog). We had it the worst while visiting my family in Idaho, where it went through every single person in the house (it even got some of the kids TWICE). It just goes to show you what a small world this is. We are none of us so far away that we can't be mown down by the same stomach bug. Hey! Maybe you got yours from us!
You know...HF knew that when he sent us oodles of kids that at least one in the pack had to be a straight shooter...a barf straight shooter, that is. I have ONE...jury is out on the younger ones...but so far ONE for SIX. pretty pathetic. Hooray for Calvin--he'd be my FAV too!!!
Julie - still trying to find you girlfriend. Here's the message I tried to email you a couple days ago... you've been on my mind so much.
I have been thinking about you so-SO much! How are you friend? Things are super here... Mike and I just got back from the east coast. It was such a great trip, visiting his family and closest friends - just the best. I love them all so much. On the work side, I'm contracting about 6 days/month with Kaiser. It's a fantastic schedule and I just love it. I haven't talked to you since I saw you last and you were going to go to Florida - Disney World for a vacation. How was it? How are you? And how are your beautiful children? How's Pie? Send me pictures when you get a chance!
Post a Comment