luncheon
perfunctory
festive, festoon
cutlery
the (when put in front of words. The Wal-Mart, the grocery, the Wendy's)
tomfoolery
frippery
gadabout
glower
frowzy
wadded
There are many more. Send me some words you'd like for me to add to the list (do not send me any "farm" words), and I will send you this poster of Tom Wopat, absolutely free.

10 comments:
you are going a little crazy with posts missy, i think you need to slow down. Or, are you just giving us our fill because during sewing mayhem you are going to abandon the blog for a month?
only because I want and need that poster..
riptide (for obvious (to us) reasons)
round-a-bout (preferably pronounce boot at the end)
saturday (i think all the days are really weird actually. I wish you had cable because on the game show network (my love!) there are many wordy shows that I know you would enjoy/dominate.
I always liked shindig
Hey you two, thanks for playing!
Kirsten:
Anything is more interesting pronounced in the Canadian way. And I'll see about getting Jon a gig as a guest author on my blog.
Wayne:
Shindig. One of those nifty words that takes something that is supposed to be fun (a social gathering) and turns it into something sounding painful. In my opinion, shins really cannot take much punishment at all before crying like a baby.
Congratulations on your poster! I'm sending it via email!
I don't know if I'm in the running for that Tommalicious poster, listing words that sick me out. I'll try to keep this PG.
Moist. Oh nast. I HATE when people are like, "oh these cookies are so MOIST." What? They're fetid and covered in slime? Ugh.
Mate. When used BY PEOPLE, usually in testimony form to talk about their other half. What are we, pigeons?!
Precious. Especially if used by adult women my age. "Such a precious, precious time was had by all". It makes me think of those onion-headed sad-eyed hallmark porcelain kids. And makes us sound about 80 and sporting that grandma smell. Close second: if they call something a "sweet, sweet experience".
okay, clearly a post about "hated words" is in order. I get you on "moist", and I'll raise you one..."moisture", as in rain, or snow, whathaveyou. Especially in public prayers (careful...careful) people love to be thankful for 2 days of 2 foot drifts of "moisture". Ugh.
Pulchritude is another great yet seldom used word.
I personally like the word "shenanigan." And I clearly remember the phase as a child where I and my siblings were introduced to the word "ricochet" by my older brother. We fell in LOVE with it and, as active children living on a farm, found lots of occasions to use it. Don't worry, none of the incidents were bullet-related. One word I hate is "panties." I can't say it without looking sheepish and apologetic and basically reducing my voice to a whisper. Ridiculous word! In my opinion, real women don't wear "panties." They wear "underpants."
I know what you mean about "panties". My friend's little girl always called them "pantsies", which I believe is a wonderful way to make fun of the word. So I highly recommend you switching to "pantsies". And "underpants" is the word of choice in this house too...ever since Marge uttered the word in exasperation as she opened up the fridge to find a pair of BVD's sitting there. So around here, it is definitely underpants, preferably uttered in Marge's wraspy tone of frustration.
Well, of course, any technical term for any reference to any sex organ is a howl and falls short of the mark. (Timothy in 9th grade: "I was really curious about sex until I took the sex ed component in school.")
Beyond this, anything with a flattened vowel amuses me:
"nasty"
"diarrhea"
"triptych"
"karaoke"
Lately I've been making up coining words out of the word verification pieces I have to retype to enable my comments on your post. Assuming I would be banned from blog if I revealed the one in front of me now, I can nevertheless guarantee it's a gem.
I'm very tardy to this game, but I just read a funny...
On boston.com they mentioned a sign causing a 'kerfuffle.'
I'll have to use that gem more often.
Post a Comment