Thursday, August 7, 2008

Little Jimmy Learns There Is Nothing Funny About Crime

Back in November we went to Disneyland for two days. If you spend any time with me at all, or read either of my blogs on even a most inconsistent basis, you know this already. Disneyland is one of my favorite topics. I enjoy telling Disneyland stories. I especially enjoy telling these stories to Kirsten, because she is very bored at hearing them (we both hate passing up opportunities to bother each other) so for me there is the principle enjoyment of talking about Disneyland, and then the added bonus of making her eyes roll. Win/win situation. (For her part, she likes to point out my obvious fashion issues--which are many--because, uh, I am not good at caring about fashion, apparently.) So here it is, another of my beloved Disneyland stories:


On the evening of our first day in the park, we are walking down Main Street on our way to the gate. The Everloves are with us, having joined us for a fun day of Disney Magic, Wonder, and Over-priced Food. The park is closing. We are all walking out as a group and our friend John notices that our boy Jon is very interested in looking at something in his pocket. John investigates and discovers that Jon has a small metal personalized key chain, similar to this one--only his didn't say Lorriane on it--in his pocket.



It wasn't paid for. John whips into one of the shops and gives it to a Disneyland employee and we continue our walk to the parking garage, with me ramping up for my "We Do Not Take Things We Haven't Paid For" harangue, otherwise known as the "Why On Earth Would You Steal Something??" lecture. I know that Jon is feeling a bit uncomfortable (as well he should) and so he is sort of hanging back from the group as we are walking to our cars. He is hanging back, and taking something out of his pocket. And intently looking at it. Sure enough, that little carpetbagger had ANOTHER key chain in his pocket. I begin to huff. I am embarrassed and angry. I am furious. And I am not about to walk all the way back to Disneyland (which is now closed) to hand over another unpaid-for trinket. I grab the key chain from Jon and inform him that tomorrow we would go back to the Critter Country shop from whence he had taken it and HE would return it. (All I can say is, thank goodness for that second day at the park, because honestly, I'm not sure I would have returned the thing. I would of course have told him I returned it, but you know me and bothersome tasks...)


So the next day at Disneyland, we go back to the shop and the nicest lady is working the register. A real grandmotherly type and I present our case in my best "We are here to teach this boy a lesson, Granny, so help me out here" voice. Jon produces the key chain and plunks it onto the counter. Granny quietly asks him, "Is your name "Jim?" --because you see, Jon had picked out a key chain that had "Jim" printed on it-- and Jon soberly replies, "No, my name is Jon", to which Granny bursts out in very jovial laughter, not at all calculated to make a young boy feel at all remorseful for his obvious sin, and says in her adorable Southern, grandmotherly drawl, "Well Honey, you didn't even get the right one!" Oh thank you, wise old Cash Register Woman, for your help in this serious matter. Now that we have all had a hearty chuckle, including the random people in line behind us, I'm sure he's learned a lesson here he won't soon forget.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Oooh. Good story. Last summer, when we went to Fiesta Texas (an amusement park that pales in comparison to the glory that is Disneyland) we purchased the zillion dollar drink deal, where you carry around a big plastic sippy cup and they refill it all day long. The thing is...you had to wear a bracelet to refill the cup, a bracelet that had the date written on it. Lucky for us...our drink guy forgot to write the date on ours. So the next day (our second day at the park) we marched in and decided to refill our cup. The granny (a mean one) suspected foul play and gave my daughter Jordan what for. Basically, she said, she had sold her soul to the devil for one zillion dollar drink. Now, as I tell this story, it does seem a very, very bad precedent, but, at the time, I was so hopped up on price gouging that it didn't seem so bad. Really. Not so bad at all.

rebecca said...

Way too funny! Yes, he'll be able to use this story in his next repentance talk;) LOL

the binghams. said...

well, even i enjoyed it... and i didn't roll my eyes at all, just to let you know. I am growing out of that, give me some credit, I AM nearly 24. happy 15 years with pie day! I love that man (in an appropriate, brother-sister way) and i am glad you two are lovers.

shayla said...

I mean really--he HAD to take a piece of Disney home with him. Was this really the only way he could do it, MOM??? just kidding! That was a funny story! Your kids are becoming legend at our house. Izzie stole a CTR ring from Deseret Book when we stopped there passing through St. George--how's that for an oxy-moron?!

Bybee Family said...

How funny! :)
You are such an amazing story teller!

Adrienne said...

It's so hard to help kids understand at Disney "your souvenir is getting to eat in the park today, skippy!" MY kid decided to leave a part of her behind in Disneyland by spitting her binky over the edge in the Haunted Mansion ride, right in front of the ghost mirrors. She spit it FAR, too, so there was no way to retrieve it, and no way everyone wasn't seeing it as they rode by. I also tried to tell a (non granny) employee who pretty much didn't care either. What kind of employee training are these people getting?!

Farrah said...

That is hilarious!!