Tommy may be nearly 5 but his language seems to track around 3 1/2. Whenever he wants to tell me something I always get the feeling that he is translating his thoughts into English from some foreign tongue. Sometimes it is funny, like recently when he was trying to ask me why Dad had a pair of old-school, never used roller skates (I have the same question myself) but he couldn't remember what they were called so he just said "You wear them on your feet and they have little wheels...hmmm...they are not roller coasters....they're...." But most of the time what he is trying to communicate isn't so obvious and we go around in circles. Just now is a perfect example:
"Mom, can we go visit that boy I like?"
What boy?
"That boy that lives in that house. He's not a karate guy....he has a black shirt with no words on it, just regular black."
Umm, where is the house?
"It's near Uncle Nick's house in the mountains."
Uhhh, can you give me more hints?
"Yes. They had the cookies there that didn't have the broken chocolate parts in them"
You mean chocolate chips?
"Chocolate chips! The cookies didn't have those. Just the salt I like on the top"
Salt?
"Yes. The yummy salt. And they had a kitchen, and a tv, and Star Wars toys."
Well, everyone we know has a kitchen, tv and Star Wars toys.....
"Okay, here was the kitchen... and then here was the table....and here was the stairs.....and....Hey Mom! what would happen if you painted a booger blue and stuck it back up your nose?"
That's disgusting. I'm still trying to figure out who you are talking about. Was it a big, pretty house?
"No, the house was.....ugly. A whole painting of black house. But just outside it's made of wood, when it's brown."
Ah huh...who else was there?
"Nana was there."
Were there other kids there?
"No. Aunt Kirsten was there and...uh...who lives with Aunt Kirsten again?"
Uncle Nic and Baby Daphne.
"Her name is Brooklynn?"
No...{sigh}... that's Aunt Janna's baby.
--This conversation went on for much, much longer. Sometimes when people say "I'm sparing you the details" they really aren't. But in this case be assured that I am. In the end, I realized that he was talking about his cousin Drew, who we stayed with in Heber on our last trip to Utah. Drew has two younger brothers, the cookies he's remembering had sugar sprinkles on them, Nana wasn't there and the house we stayed in was absolutely gorgeous. (Like, could-have-been-featured-in-a-magazine pretty.)
Sometimes I wonder what planet this kid came from, and if the mother ship will come back for him any time soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm so happy you are on a posting roll. Does my saying that mean it's certain to stop suddenly and unexplicably? One of the things I love about Fall is the return to order, and I'm counting on more frequent blog posts from you as a necessary part of that order. Just like candy corn. Except lower in calories.
He's allowed to be that way cause he's the baby... forever and has his momma's funny bone. You know what though-- we are in the process of getting Viviana's speech evaluated through the school district. She's either going to qualify for free preschool with a speech/language pathologist as the teacher, or a 30 min/3x week speech session with a S/L pathologist. Win win and free is what I call it:) You should look into that to get him up to speed before K next year.
Post a Comment