Saturday, July 17, 2010

Sabbath Foods That Are Holey

A few months ago I hit upon a plan for keeping Tommy in his seat during that looong first hour of church:

Donuts.

I am a Super Genius. Every Sunday when Tommy gets squirmy on my lap--when he begs to go out to get a drink---when he renders himself completely boneless as he tries to slunk out of my arms and puddle around my ankles.....I whisper into his ear these meaningful words:

I have a donut for you at home.

Wiff sprinkles? he asks.

Lots and lots of sprinkles, I respond. And then, just like that, he comports himself like a wee angel (mostly) and sits in thirsty silence until the meeting is over.

Donuts promote reverence, I have found. And you know what else? Bagels make a wonderful alarm clock. Every Sunday morning I wake the children for our 9 am meetings with this delicious phrase:

There are bagels in the kitchen.

Magic, I tell you. They pop up like little weasels and off they run to toast their own bagels. Which leads me to the obvious scientific conclusion that any round bakery item with a hole in the center must be holy. Donuts and bagels certainly bring a wonderful spirit of sweetness and chewiness into our home on Sundays. Try them for yourself. (Just remember to gather your donuts and bagels on Saturday. Otherwise you will have a churchy disaster on your hands!)

3 comments:

Nathan & Michelle Watabe said...

Love it and will try it!

shayla said...

I know, ANYTHING for reverence.... we use gum, and lots of it... like 5 different flavors to choose from. They sit quietly during the sacrament, then it's 'chew time' the rest of the meeting. But your magic donuts and bagels are genius to a kid who can reason:)

TNIRYAN said...

I have often secretly concluded that such round, holey bakery items were generously slipped to us directly from heaven as a sort of small temporal compensation for, you know, all the pain and suffering we sometimes go through on this Earth. They certainly lift my soul.