In a recent fit of self-loathing/stupidity, Pie and I traded in our calm, uncomplicated lives of eating enjoyment and evening TV-watching for the craziness that is.....
P90X.
You may have heard about this workout regimen from watching info-mercials. (Or maybe you have recently joined the Marines, whom I'm told use the workouts during boot camp.) I personally hadn't heard much of anything about the workouts before Pie committed us as a couple to the program. It was probably better that way. Now that my ignorance and my bliss have been so ruthlessly ripped from me (along with my beloved sweetened snack treats) I can't help but warn others:
1) These workouts (all 12 of them) are HARD. Most are an hour long. They are all different, and when done properly cause your entire body to wish for the blessed rest of death. Seriously, even dancing 8+ hours a day as a Modern Dance major in college never had me as sore these workouts.
2) The workouts will cause you to find even the most mundane of physical activities, such as coughing and sneezing and shampooing your hair, to be excruciatingly painful. Every day I am more aware of tiny, random muscles that now scream for my attention.
3) The diet plan associated with P90X is essential to the success of the program. It provides high energy and protein to rebuild all those muscles you continue to abuse, plus shopping for, preparing and eating three homemade meals a day keeps you too busy (and full!) for unapproved snacking.
4) If you hate being hungry on a diet, this might be the plan for you. Every meal (with the exception of two disappointing meals out of the 21 we've tried so far) is very filling and quite tasty. Some of our favorites--Island Pork Tenderloin salad, Chicken with Honey Chile sauce, Sirloin Steak salad, Chicken salad--are so filling and delicious that you are surprised they are "diet food". Indeed, Pie sometimes complains that his portions are too big and he has trouble eating everything. I agree. Sometimes the biggest hurdle of the day is eating all the food.
5) P90X is a huge commitment. I like to joke that on this diet I am busy doing one of three things: Chewing, Shopping or Sweating, in that order. Only, I'm not joking. All day long I am in the kitchen either prepping or cleaning up after our meals. It's crazy. I'm hoping that will get better. I'm no June Cleaver, and so my idea of whipping up breakfast doesn't include several courses. Who grills steaks for lunch? I'd like to know. And a side order of vegetable soup at dinner that took me an hour to prepare? Crazy! I tell you. But you can't argue with the results: 4 lbs for me and 8 for Pie (because boys are brats when it comes to losing the lbs fast!) and that was just for our first week. Not to mention how much stronger we are now! I am hoping by the end of the 90 days to realize one of my life-long goals: a real honest-to-goodness pull-up. Maybe even two.
Okay, so I didn't really mean for this post to turn into a blog-o-mercial for P90X, I actually sat down to share a favorite recipe: Honey Chile sauce
This tasty little reduction is amazing on chicken and all the other fillers you may find on the "dieter's" plate, in this case healthy servings of green beans and quinoa (keen-wa):
1/4 cups shallots, chopped finely
2/3 cups honey
1/4 cup sherry vinegar (I use red wine vinegar)
1 teasp. pasilla chile powder (I use regular chile powder)
1/4 teasp. ground cumin
1 1/2 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
Chopped cilantro for garnish
1. Coat saute pan with cooking spray and place on medium-high heat. Saute chopped shallots until tender.
2. Add the honey and vinegar. Quickly stir in chile, cumin and broth. Bring to a boil and reduce by half.
(Chef's note: It was at this point in the cooking process Sunday afternoon that Tommy came down stairs, plugging his nose and complaining about what I was cooking, saying, and I quote "I hate this dinner, it smells like foot." A few minutes later, when Josie tried to engage him in a game of Kittens, Tommy told her "I can't play Kittens because I have to keep plugging my nose". It is true, this sauce at it's beginning stages is rather pungent, but I have no idea where "foot" falls into the equation. Personally, I always think cumin hints more of Oaxacan Pet Shop Owner. Regardless, don't let this little anecdote keep you from trying this super yummy sauce.)
3. Transfer sauce to blender or food processor and blend at high speed until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in cilantro. Pour 2 tablespoons (that is a serving) onto anything you think needs it.
There. I'd love to stay and chat, but I've got to get started on lunch.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
My husband wants us to do this during the summer...so here's a question: are the kids eating the same meal or do you fix something different for them??? Hope all goes well! :)
Hey Miss L:
I do not in fact make enough dinner for everyone. Just those of us on the diet get the "complicated dinners". The children are fed a wide variety of non-foot foods, such as nuggets, fish sticks, tatertots and quesadillas (please pronounce the "L's"). Sometimes they have cereal. My reasons lean towards the monetary (this diet ain't cheap) and the practical (the younger 4 would hate it.)
Hey! While I do think your new program is cool...and while I do wish you would cook all of the food for me...and encourage me...and exercise with me...it's clearly taking too much time away from the important stuff...like blogging and commenting on my blog. So, cease and desist. Immediately.
Will you ever get to eat anything normal? You know, like those bloody fingers that your son eats.
So I was at dinner with Miss L (see above), and confessed that I too am P90Xing it, and she said "so is your cousin". How dumb I felt. And this morning I started screaming in an unnatural way as I downward dogged (poorly and awkwardly) for the 500th time, "I HATE YOU TONY!!!". But that's not true. I love him. I want to bear my testimony about P90X. It honestly works. But I hates it when I am doing it, precious.
Congrats on being dedicated to the diet. I X'ed with a buddy in grad school, and we never could afford or stick to the diet 100%. I think the most important thing is to motivate other Xers by quoting the most ridiculous Tonyisms as often as possible. My favorites include: "Just like a Pterodactyl backing out of trouble", "He's a mad man, he's a leapfrog, he's a locust" and everyone's favorite "Diamonds of gold"
Post a Comment