....except this time we are missing Church instead of school. As you can see by the tabletop, we got about a foot between last night and noon today. Since we were up late last night watching a movie, we were aware of the mass email announcing the cancellation of church for the whole stake. Unfortunately, none of the people who called bright and early this morning at 7:15 to tell us about it could possibly know that we already knew....
kinda lame.

So. Sew? Our dear Jos (the very personification of gentility and refinement) decided to spend the day doing needlework, sewing costumes for her dear little stuffed animals. Because you may not be aware,
indeed I had no idea myself until Josie told me, but stuffed animals celebrate Halloween at Thanksgiving. Sadly, without candy or buckets. But the costumes are the real focus for stuffed animal
ThanksHallowGiving anyway.
Inspiration for Ratty's costume came from a discarded plastic headband that Josie had days earlier destroyed by breaking in half and pulling off the fabric covering. She took one look at that curving plastic thing this morning and said "The beanstalk from Jack and the Beanstalk!" (Which was certainly the first thought that sprang to mind when I inadvertently stepped on it last night.)

I do look forward to the day when Josie will gain the technical ability to include sleeves in her costumes. Because Ratty looks more than a little uncomfortable in this strapless ensemble.

Photo shoot interloper.

Dear Raggedy Ann Vampire. I actually thought this idea would make a fun costume for Josie next Halloween. I'm sure she would be the only Raggedy Ann Vampire in the school costume parade. (But I was completely shot down, btw.)

Can you tell the seamstress was growing a little tired by this point? I found chilly Willy's Little Old Lady costume sweet yet predictable. What? No crocheted handbag? No sensible shoes? She could at least have included a clear plastic hat to be worn over the headscarf.

A snow day is always welcome, in my opinion, but I think I would have preferred it to come next week. Today was supposed to be the Primary Program and all the Primary children (and us teachers too!) spent 3 hours yesterday morning working on a service project in addition to eating pizza and cupcakes and practicing the program. Yes. Three hours. From 9:30 to 12:30. I wish I was exaggerating. I just hope we get to do the program next Sunday as is, and not need to practice again.
3 comments:
"Ratty" looks like a pig in a corset. Well done Josie.
Jos is a budding seamstress. I'm impressed with her initiative, and resourcefulness. SO impressive.
We had our primary program today. They made me cry. I've never heard of a Saturday practice....and 3 hours. Wow. Wow. I'm sure it will be great. The only less than great program I've heard of was my sister's in Draper where they have a zillion primary kids (6 nurseries). Good luck!
That girl has such mad sewing skills I'd have to call them skeeeeeelz! I'm super-impressed!
Post a Comment