Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Winning Isn't Everything, But It Certainly Beats Losing

Last night the Pittsburgh Steelers came to town to play the Denver Broncos and we had tickets. Sure, the tickets were just barely in the stadium, but that's not what's important here. What IS important is that for one night I overcame my rather debilitating fear of heights and crowds and my general distaste for any sporting event--and attended MNF with a smile on my face and nary a word of sarcasm from my lips. All for the love of my husband. It was a Christmas miracle, I tell you.
Our view of the field:

Last night's attendance was 76,108. There were 608 no-shows. The place was rockin. Especially when 76,107 people in the stadium decided to stomp their feet in unison. All I could think of was that particularly large earthquake that rocked my high school during my Junior year/the walls of Jericho tumbling down. Thankfully I settled down by the end of the first quarter and from then on out I was okay. Football games are great for people watching and eating, two of my favorite past-times. Aside from the overly drunk woman behind us who decided to join the cheerleaders on the field during halftime by launching herself down two rows of seats our little area was pretty well behaved. I mean, no one threw up or anything. I think that is the best one can hope for.

Another little detail that could potentially impact one's night out at the game is the score. Here is a picture of the scoreboard towards the end of the game. I know you can't read it so let me just tell you, the Steelers won. Twenty-eight to 10. I was really happy for Pie (and his brother Nick and Nick's son Ben who came into town just to go to the game with us.) Personally, I wasn't all that interested in the score for myself, but I did take great interest in my coat pocket full of snack size Snickers and Mild Duds from the buckets of Halloween candy Pie had in the trunk of his car. Proving my life's philosophy "It's not about winning or losing but how you spend your time eating during the game".


It was fun. It was crazy. I'm glad the Steelers only play the Broncos every few years or so. Because a year from now would be just a little too soon.

3 comments:

rebecca said...

You are a good wife:) The only time I think I'd be up for an NFL game is if it was the Pats and I could throw snowballs during the game. There would need to be hot chocolate and soup involved too. The Pats would need to play really well b/c I get bored easily, even in the middle of a packed stadium. I'm weird that way. Good call on the Halloween candy, btw.

shayla said...

I'm with you on the eating thing. I always look forward to my pocket treasures too:) Hooray for the Steelers--I'm sure it made for a nice ride home--Curt is a HUGE Steelers fan too.

Nathan & Michelle Watabe said...

Oh Julie, one more thing we have in common: the only thing that makes professional sporting events somewhat tolerable is plenty of good food. The FEW times we've gone to pro-sporting events I tell Nate that I'm good not to go again for at least 3 years.