Monday, October 5, 2009

Foliage....Or Is It Foilage?

Oh, I know it's foliage, I just enjoy quoting Marge on that.

Fall is definitely my favorite season. Cool yet sunny days, crystal-clear views of the Rockies, Halloween, pumpkin bread (pumpkin anything!), and of course, all the colors. I love the oranges, reds and golds. Amur Maples and Sumac are stunning in autumn, but over the past few years I have fallen in love with a particular tree that isn't quite so showy. The leaves of this tree are green until the nights get cold, and then slowly the innermost leaves turn bright yellow/green. Since the outer leaves are still green, the whole tree seems to glow from within. It reminds me of a lantern. As fall progresses, the outer leaves begin to turn purple and then red and then eventually bright yellow/green.

Years ago, our backyard neighbors planted a variety of trees along the back of the fence we share. The trees have finally started to really mature and we noticed when we moved back this summer that the trees are now tall enough to mostly hide the neighbors house from view. And guess what? The tree framed in my kitchen window is my favorite lantern tree! I didn't realize this until the leaves started to change. And after years of loving this type of tree, I finally sat down at the computer the other day and did a little research. It is an American Purple White Ash. A mouthful, for sure. I'm glad to finally know the name of this tree. So, you know, bully for me!



And now for something completely different.
For those of you who asked me if the toilet plunger on the TV was staged, I'm hurt. Number 1, Max and Ruby are on all the time here (Shay, I love them too) so it is quite possible that any picture featuring the TV screen will most likely include Max. And when I snapped the picture, Max's face just happened to frame the plunger perfectly. Number 2, I am lucky to ever get pictures of anything, much less have the time and ability to "stage" a picture. Tommy's naked bum while wearing those slippers a few posts back? Exactly the way I found him. (The boy just happens to spend a lot of his time in blog worthy pursuits.)
Such as is illustrated in this little gem: Getting ready to go visiting teaching last week. The young man dresses himself. Note the lone shoe on the wrong foot. (Yes, I let him out of the house like this. Because it made me laugh, and I say, share the wealth.)

3 comments:

rebecca said...

Love the shoe ensemble Tommy has going on. He looks good to go.
I'm savoring autumn too. I've really been slacking with taking pictures since our nice camera broke, but it's beautiful around here right now.

shayla said...

I'm jealous of your foliage on your American Purple White Ash. That is perhaps one of the only bummers about living in Southern Cali. Well, you know. So go enjoy your lovely trees and keep sharing beautiful photos cause our leaves don't shed here until like January:)

Adrienne said...

Not to mention a shirt proclaiming he does his own stunts. Awesome. Fall is my favorite too, especially this year -- and I too, love pumpkin ANYTHING. Just back it on up. Don't mind if I do.