Do you remember last year during September's "art school" week, when I had my three middles paint silhouettes of black cats? How it was supposed to look like "dressy" Halloween, and maybe the slightest bit hauntingly creepy? Well, in hanging them up yesterday I have discovered a bit of a problem. As they currently hang on the wall, they appear in no way to be dressy or Halloween, much less hinting of hauntingly creepy. No. They look like someone who subscribes to
Cat Fancier lives here.
Not the feeling I was trying to capture.
So, all my talented, crafty and
blessed with good taste friends, what are my options? And don't suggest that I just take them down, because the kids have already seen them and LOVE THEM as only small children can.

(At least I had the good sense to hang them in the tiny and inconspicuous hallway leading out to the garage, and not over the piano in the front room, as Pie suggested.)
12 comments:
A Halloween-ish ribbon hanging down from behind the row of pictures.
Spider web and spiders (fancy spiders would be dipped in glitter)
Orange rhinestone stickers for the eyes.
I think these look great!
the frames. make them a little more halloween-y, but, like, classy halloween. you know, w/ silver spider-webby spray paint or something.
Add witches' hats to the cats... thats the best I can think of... or add creepy glowing eyes. Good luck.
PS Does the suggestion you go with win anything???
Add googly eyes?
Have a FHE on the importance of serving/loving your neighbor and give them to the spinster cat lady in the ward? (she will absolutely adore them by the way.)
hmm. Yes that is tricky. Change them too much and the kids get ancy. Leave them and you risk being the subject of neighborhood whispers.
You could always give them some bright green or orange rhinestone eyes, straight on the glass if you're looking for color. Or just continue to silhouette theme and surrond them with some trendy damask border. Lordy I don't know.
Your kids have a knack for making silhouettes..those are quite cool even IF they're stinkin cats! How 'bout you have them continue with the Halloween thing and write in orange on the white background Halloweenish things like 'spooky' or 'trick or treat' or whatever they want to...that way they can ONLY be hung in October:)
You've probably got hundreds of options by now, but maybe you could simply call this area "The Art Museum" and periodically change out the kids artwork to other things. Thus, you won't be stuck with cats forever, and maybe you get other thematic works of art to display that will be equally adored. Maybe??? That, or toss a couple of plastic spiders on the frames to create that Halloween/spider infestation look. That'd be pretty creepy.
Dead rats.......toys, not real, that would just be gross. And creepy in a different way.
or maybe a creepy cat poem or story printed on vellum over the cats. Print it large in a creepy font and have it continue down each frame.
Creepy creepy creepy. (because I just didn't use the word enough in this comment)
My suggestion would be to surround them with spooky tree silhouettes cut out of black paper and add a few black bats flittering above them. Perhaps even a yellow moon. . .
ummm could you cut out pumpkin, ghost and witch shapes out of orange,white and black construction paper and make some sort of border? Or maybe just do witch and broom shapes since they are black cats. I dunnknow. I'm not all that crafty so maybe I shouldn't comment. Good luck, whatever you do.
Look at this response, Julie! The idea of changing this out seasonally is a good one. I have a frame filled with 4 or 5 photos that my photographer friend took. Each photo is a classic New England site in a certain season- the beach, Patriot's Day re-enactment, snowy covered bridge, fall foliage & a maple sugar pail on a tree. You could do a few silhouettes per frame....or just 2- the cats for Halloween & then your kids' profiles for the rest of the year. Keep them all in the frames and just rotate. Easy Peasy.
Post a Comment