Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Josie, Tommy and Mom Enjoy Girls Night While Dad, Sid, Calvin and Jon Go Camping

Last Friday afternoon I took off in Pie's car with Josie and Tommy--for a night of Josie-inspired greasy fun--while Pie and the big boys loaded up the Suburban with sleeping bags, a tent and snacks and headed out to Father and Sons camp out. In the interest of domestic peace (as it relates to Tommy) we referred to the camp out as "Scouts". No sense in making Tommy feel more marginalized than he already did, what with having to attend "Girls Night" and all. It worked out pretty well for us girls and our plus one. I actually have no real idea how it worked out for the boys, other than they arrived home safely mid-Saturday, absolutely covered with mosquito bites. I think they had a good time. It is hard to tell from the two pictures that came back from the event. When I asked Pie why Jon wasn't in the group shot in front of the tent he said Jon had run off and he didn't know where he was. When I asked Pie why Jon didn't get any bug repellent (and was nearly sucked dry by the mosquitoes) he said Jon was never around to get sprayed. Hmmm. I just love Father and Sons camp out. Any questions why I kept the littlest camper home with me?


Sid was having fun. He just likes to show it in a really bored and angry way. He's 13.


Looks like Jon was in camp long enough to search out the snacks. It is a comfort knowing he didn't go hungry.


And this concludes the Father and Sons photos and recap.

Girls Night. Pictures provided from my cell phone. (My apologies.) But Pie really needed the camera with him at the camp out, you know?

Here we are in Daddy's car, heading off to a real culinary and cultural treat: McDonald's.


Josie enjoying her Chicken McNugget Happy Meal. Mmmm. Nuggety.


After sliming around the PlayPlace for about an hour, I convinced the children it was time to have fun someplace else and lured them out to the car with the promise of donuts at the grocery. Together in the car cart:


And if that weren't enough, we got our helmets and bikes (and gloves!) and headed over to the school play ground.


Josie, shouting "I'M THE KING OF THE WORLD!" on top of the climbing structure. She went unchallenged.


Josie came up with the idea while at the play ground to do all of the things that were against the rules during school hours. As her mother, I naturally encouraged her in this. So on the swings it was she and I swinging together on one swing (strictly forbidden) and then on her own she showed me Underdog, and Underdog in style. I'm not gonna lie, the Underdog was just a'ight for me. But her Underdog in style was totally buck. After she scurried up a pole and climbed along on the top of the monkey bars I figured we should call it quits so we headed home to watch a movie. I made popcorn with lots and lots of butter and salt. It was delicious.

Next year I don't think I'll be able to keep Tommy home. So who from the Elder's Quorum wants to volunteer to watch my kids at the campout?

3 comments:

rebecca said...

Clearly you had the most fun! :)
I'm glad you're taking a break for organizing, painting, etc. It's much more fun for me to hear from you:):) Honestly, I wish I was there with a paintbrush and my few working brain cells to help you out.

Sarah said...

I'm going to Utah soon. I'll be footloose and fancy free (what IS fancy free anyway?) while my kids are at "Camp Grandma" with Sterling's parents. Can you come and play with me? You live next door. Practically. Isn't Colorado next door to Utah? You can stay with me at my aunt's uber fancy cabin in Heber and we can pretend we are single gals taking a break from our demanding Manhattan jobs. Come on. I'm going to be bored otherwise. Plus, you need a break from the dollhouse. Ask Pie. Tell him I've religiously watched his House Hunters episode every time it has aired purely out of loyalty. To him AND his braces.

TNIRYAN said...

Oh, Tim can watch them! From all the way over here. Alright, so that's not even remotely helpful aside from the fact that I'm volunteering someone else to help you rather than myself (in truth, I fear your children--Sid looks especially vicious), but I was hoping to get slant points on one of those "it's the thought that counts" offers. I think I'm running low on good karma.