So my adorable husband has some sort of illness wherein if he sits down and remains silent/motionless for longer than 2-3 minutes he falls asleep. It doesn't matter where he is or what is going on, really. The powerful current of sleepiness will overtake him and he will be trapped in it's undertow--and swept out to a sea of dreamland--quicker than you can say "overwrought metaphor". Pie has fallen asleep driving and while sitting at red lights. He dozes off in the middle of conversations--conversations he is having, not just listening to. He sleeps while sitting on planes and in church and in the Temple--sitting anywhere really. Opening a book for him is like turning on a lullaby. It's bad.
I have learned to accept this little quirk of his and content myself with shaking my head/yelling angrily/ mocking him good-naturedly as the situations demand. I know that it is probably not his fault (whether he is excessively tired or bounding with energy, the results are always the same) but I cannot help myself. I guess that's my little quirk.
So after napping away a few sessions of Conference last week, Pie hit upon a brilliant idea. I looked over at him during the Sunday afternoon session and noticed that
1) he was awake.
2) he was doing something with his Blackberry. Hmmm.
At the end of the session--and after observing he had sat through the entire thing without his eyes rolling back in his head once--Pie excitedly told me that he had discovered the key to staying awake! Playing that (stupid) breakout game on his Blackberry! I was really happy for him. Really. I think he felt a little sheepish (wasn't there a talk that mentioned the inappropriate use of Blackberries during this very Conference?) but I told him "Hey, it's medicinal."
So if you see somebody playing with their Blackberries at church--don't be so quick to judge. Maybe they have a note from their doctor. Or maybe they are just Twittering. In that case feel free to judge/mock them accordingly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
When I was a youngun...I remember laughing and being somewhat amazed at bishopric members who could sleep in front of the ENTIRE congregation. I still remember asking my mother about this(these guys were pretty old at the time)and she said that when people work really hard all of their lives, then they just fall asleep when they are relaxed. I bought it. At the time. Sterling has a milder form of Pie's disease. He too slept through a portion of conference. When we were first married this tendency drove me nuts, now I'm like WHATEVER.
I have the same quirk as Pie! I can remember no movie I've ever seen in my entire life -- because I've slept through all of them. (Even when I was dating, I would fall asleep in the theatre! Can you imagine?)
Sign me up for a Blackberry. But then I would probably have to actually carry it around (since it's so expensive and all -- I'd be guilted in to it). So maybe that would solve Joe's quirk, too. (The quirk where he gets really mad, because I never carry my cell phone around.)
I worked with a guy; actually, I wouldn't call him a guy. He was an MD, former FDA official and our Chief Medical Officer. Anyways, the dude could fall asleep mid-sentence. After three or four beats too long, he'd wake up and continue his thought.
Narcolepsy, in the new, convenient FunSize!
Made for some seriously uncomfortable meetings, especially when we had investors coming in to see what we were up to and decide whether to throw some money at us.
..Or maybe they downloaded the scriptures onto their blackberries and are reading right along with the lesson...I'm glad Pie found a cure for his little quirk You know what letters are sitting in my word verification right now? dity pie. No kidding. dity pie. So you go tell Pie Shay says 'dity Pie'.
Post a Comment