Friday, March 6, 2009

Yesterday

Yesterday was a joy, a chore and a bore. Wonderful things and horrible things and regular things. Let's start with the joy:

First of all, I received many, many well-wishes from Facebook. Which was fun. (I'm not that big of a "presents and gifts" kinda girl, so little notes from friends and family are just my style.) Now I feel guilty for never noticing when anyone else has a birthday on Facebook. Not of course guilty enough to really make an effort though. Just being honest.

Pie took me out to birthday dessert at a new place called White Chocolate. Almost as if it were planned, my parents showed up at the same restaurant--at the same time! We sat together and ordered dessert and then all of a sudden--Kirsten and Nic and Daphne walked in!!! (Well, if I am being honest, Daphne was carried in. Lazy baby.) It was a joyful reunion. I was utterly surprised. I knew that Kirsten was coming into town but not until the day after my birthday. So tricky, these people. My mom didn't call me the whole day, on my birthday, just because she didn't want to ruin the surprise--which she totally would have. My mom is the queen of spilling the beans accidentally. My dad is no better at keeping a secret, but whereas my mother's blabbing appears to be totally involuntary, my dad just can't handle the pressure and will tell the secret outright. Those two. Whaddaya gonna do? The dessert was delicious, the company delightful and I loved my presents. Yay for me.

Now for the Boring:

It was a regular day. I didn't get a nap, I had to bathe the children and brush their teeth and prepare meals. Took Jos to gymnastics. No cake, since my birthday cake will be coming on Sunday, when we are all together. It was an okay day I guess. Just, you know, regular. I realized later in the day though, how nice regular can be:

And here we have the horrible:

Sid came home from school and as I was rushing out the door to take the girl to gymnastics held up his mangled right hand and said,

I got into a fight at school and broke my hand.

To which I responded by bursting into song: Happy Birthday to me!

Well, to be fair, Sid punched a kid in the jaw who had first punched Sid in the neck. I am not a fan of physical violence but I have to say the mama bear in me wasn't too horrified that he fought back. You see, I have always known that Sid wasn't a fighter. More of a runner-awayer, really. So on some level it was comforting to know that he will stand up for himself. I guess for FHE sometime soon we will be working on the mechanics of punching. Anyway, back to me. I was feeling a little sorry for myself as the day wore on. I told Sid I would take him to the doctor, just not on my birthday. (We went this morning and yup, he broke his hand. A splint until Monday and then a proper cast.) Anyway, the fight happened away from any adult supervision, so at least there wasn't any call from the Principal's office. I consider that a tender mercy.

So that, my friends, is how my good/bad/indifferent 38th birthday went down.

**So, what is up with my family and breaking bones? Any ideas??

4 comments:

rebecca said...

I honestly was going to wish you an ER-free day (or did I?). Love the JOY, can relate to the boring, and such a bummer about the broken hand. I'd be in mama bear mode too....don't mess!

Adrienne said...

Oh the miracle that is the Konchar family. My mom can't lie/keep a secret to save her either!! Must be that shared brain of Connie and Ann. (By the way, does your mom blame her brain like a separate entity? You know, "Oh, this brain of mine!!" My mom and her brain co-exist, apparently)
But I'm glad the happies of your birthday were big ones, sorry about the rash of broken bones. You've GOT to find out who's got the voodoo dolls of you guys.

TNIRYAN said...

So you also have a March birthday? I knew there was something kindred spirit-y about you.

I am upset that we do not have a restaurant here named "White Chocolate." I shall have to build one.

I can't believe your son broke his hand punching some kid in the jaw in self defense. That's a story straight out of Dickens or even "the hood." What kind of ghetto do you live in? (All said in jest, people, all said in jest.)

Our Family said...

That's exactly what I was going to ask...what's up with the Konchars breaking bones!! I'm so sorry for you and for Sid! I'm glad too that you had a nice suprise from Kirsten and Nic. We're excited to see you guys this weekend. It seems like it's been a long time.