Oh yeah. Rocks.
So in my little 8 year old brain I hatched a cunning scheme for how I could make my own polished rocks. I had the whole thing planned out and absolutely KNEW that my idea would yield stunning results (of the polished rock variety).
How to make polished rocks:Find some rocks outside. Smallish rocks work best. Put the rocks in the bathroom sink, turn on the faucet and walk away. Let the rocks wash for about an hour. Take clean rocks and put them in a plastic mug. Fill mug with a little bit of water. Add baby oil. Put mug in freezer, perched precariously atop bags of frozen vegetables. Go out and play. Come back in and check rocks in freezer. Suffer disappointment. Add more baby oil. Go back outside. Repeat this process every 7 minutes until you spill the oily contents of the mug onto the frozen foods and/or Mom confronts you and demands an explanation.
Can you imagine my ingenious recipe for polished rocks didn't work out? Because it didn't....
.....and now for something else that didn't work out, even though the idea in my head sounded fantastic!:
Caramel Brownies.
Recipe for (yesterday's) caramel brownies:
Go to Walmart on Saturday afternoon. Develop a (sudden) mad hankering for caramel brownies. Reject the boxed mix of caramel/brownie/pecans (aka Brownie Turtles) because you really don't fancy nuts in your brownies--even though they could easily be left out--and instead buy a jar of Smuckers caramel sauce (with a name like Smuckers....)

and a box of Betty Crocker Fudge Brownies (9 x 13 family size!)

and then after church and right in the midst of lunch preparations, decide to make the caramel brownies. In an effort to make a caramel reduction and dirty a pan that you will have to clean later--at great effort--heat up the jar of caramel until it is nice and bubbly. (Note: the sauce will not thicken, no matter how long you let it simmer.) Prepare a 9x13 pan of brownie mix, then carefully pour on the entire sauce pan of caramel sauce, swirling it around on top of the uncooked brownie and watch as it sinks to the bottom of the pan. Bake brownie according to box. Check brownie. Reset timer for additional 5 minutes. Repeat. Repeat again. Check brownie. Suffer disappointment. Give up. The brownie edges will be hard like cement, while the brownie middle will be utter goo. Expect husband and children to arrive on scene for commentary.
Maybe coming up with ingenious plans just isn't my thing.

5 comments:
I hope to high heaven you all just grabbed spoons and ate the caramel choco goo. Cuz even that sounds good to me. I am a hopeless caramel/chocolate addict, and when it's caramel and brownies, I would happily scoop the goo.
but I bet ya dug in with that spoon anyhow and thought 'yum' as it went down.
Hey! I know Milles Bournes! It's a board game? We just had the cards. My parents never taught us how to really play it because they said one session of playing that in the early years of their matrimonial bliss nearly broke up their marriage. But they never threw it away. So we made up our own game.
Question: Do you identify with Amelia Bedelia? I was just wonderin' because of that caramel brownie story. Sheesh! But let me relieve your brownie caramel craving because when that hits, there's no living until it's satiated.
Mix chocolate cake mix
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 sticks melten butter
Pour half of dough in 9X13 pan, bake at 350 degrees for 6 minutes.
Spread 1 pkg chocolate chips over dough and top this with 1/2 container of caramel apple-dipping sauce (not caramel sauce!). Sprinkle remaining dough over top, bake for 15 to 18 more minutes.
You're welcome. That is, you're welcome if this recipe actually works. I don't know how much faith I have in you. No offense, Amelia, I mean, Julie.
Oh Irene! You are a dear. I will definitely try your recipe on Sunday. And yes, I DO identify with the ol' gal Amelia.
I cannot remember if it was all cards or not, although I know we played it several times! Do you know where I used to live? The house right in the middle of the cul-de-sac on Bliss. It used to be yellow... anywho, Mark's house was directly to the right, when looking at my house from the street. I assume you find all this info terribly interesting.
And Shay, I ate one "serving" and called it quits, because even though I have very low standards--after all, I enjoy peeps-- I do have standards.
You've inspired me to make caramel brownies. FHE tonight sounds like the perfect occasion. Unfortunately Wayne has adopted some sort of healthy eating lifestyle and has dropped 20 pounds already, so I'm sure I'll have more than my share...wish you were next door!
Post a Comment