But I'm still not sure how I feel about it.....
Up until a few days ago, I was a conscientious objector regarding Facebook. First of all, everyone is doing it so where is the joy of discovery in that? Secondly, I already have TWO blogs, so I feel like the universe doesn't need to hear more from me anyway. And furthermore, I spend way to much time in blogworld as it is--I don't need my codependency encouraged whatsoever! But even though I have at least three clearly articulated reasons to stay away, I am no match for my little sister and her casual assertion:
You should get on Facebook
And that my friends, is all it took. Because even though she is 13 years younger, Kirsten is the boss of me. Now I'm glued to my computer (well, Pie's computer if I am being honest. My laptop is still thinking about a command I gave it two days ago), doing exactly as I feared: Spending waaaay to much time, and completely neglecting my blogs (the poor dears!) and my children (desensitized to the neglect) in an attempt to keep everyone apprised of what I am doing. In case you don't want to schlep on over to my page, right now I'm thinking metric!
But of course the news isn't all bad or we wouldn't be having this little chat right now. I mean, it IS pretty fun. I love trying to remember the names of people I knew in jr. high, checking to see if they are on Facebook. Of course I have no intention of contacting them. I'm not going to give them any opportunity to pull a complete David Dooley and insist they don't remember me! (Although Kelly did inform me that David IS on--she just confirmed him as a friend--and holds some sort of political office in his home state. So I guess now I just wait for the AP to hunt me down to get the dirt I spilled on him a few months ago.)
I also have chatted live with three of my five siblings in recent days--people I love but rarely natter with on the phone. Again, fun. But it's not all rainbows and sausages, if you know what I mean. There is a fatal flaw in the Facebook universe, and it is called "Why does Facebook keep telling me stuff like this?" All day long I get notifications about friends of mine who have other friends I don't know who like to make comments on my friend's photos like "he's such a cutie" or "what a handful!" Not to be rude--but I don't know who you are and also I just don't care. (And to be fair, I'm sure you "friends of friends" wish my comments wouldn't get emailed to you either.) Does any savvy Facebook user have the answer for this? Because I am all about decluttering my email. And avoiding people I don't care about. (Thus allowing me to heap more care upon YOU, the people I do care about!)
So Facebook. I (sorta) heart you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
There might be a setting to change what gets posted but since we are over the age of 17, there's no way we are ever going to find it, let alone figure out how it works.
love the blog, but change the format. The black back ground and white lettering makes ones eye's go buggy :)
Sorry Becky, No can do. First of all, then I couldn't call it my "black blog". Secondly, the other way I had it hurt MY eyes. Lo siento.
Oops! I just realized you weren't the Becky I thought you were...So let me say THANK YOU for enjoying the blog. Unfortunately, the rest of what I wrote still holds true! May I recommend to you my other blog--not so contrasty.
OH MY GOSH twicE!!!! He's stalking you.
MY little sister suckered me into FB as well. I wish I hadn't burned the ernest tell-all diary of my akward Clovis years! I could have been on Yahoo's most e-mailed news list with dirt on David as well! Perhaps politicions have memories removed when they enter office for plausible deniability purposes?
Love the blogs!
First, I love that comments are back! SEcond, I have been pointedly ignoring Facebook for ages - isn't it really for the tween set? And I'm pretty sure I'm already in touch with everyone I care to be in touch with. If I wanted to stay friends with random people from HS, you can be sure I would have. However, Jon has just joined and now I think that I would not be a good wife if I didn't spy on his Facebook page and make sure there's no funny stuff going on. I mean, I can be trusting, but I'm not going to be STUPID. So maybe I'll see you on there.
Post a Comment