Friday, January 16, 2009

I Got The Beat So All The Kids Dance With Me*

A while back, a very horrible thing happened to me. And that thing was Horatio Sanz became a victim of NBC downsizing. He was "let go" from Saturday Night Live. This in and of itself wasn't so horrible. I mean Horatio, you are kinda funny and all but really, kind of a waste. Andy Samberg is so much funnier than you. But with you went your character Rick, and tragically, Rick's little sister Katelyn--played by Amy Poehler, to great comic effect. (Gentle Reader: if you have no idea what skits I am referring to, hie thee immediately to youtube and rustle up some footage. It will be well worth your effort.)

So ever since the end of Rick and Katelyn I have been mourning their passing. I have also been subjected to a fair amount of NICK as background noise, as my children get nearly lethal daily doses of Drake and Josh, icarly, SpongeBob and other classics. And it was only recently through the miracle of our strict "TV immersion therapy" for the children that I discovered a little treasure known as Mighty B. Oh Mighty B, I {heart} you!


This is a picture of the Mighty B, otherwise known as Bessie Higgenbottom, Honeybee scout extraordinaire. Bessie lives in San Francisco and is the lovably unhinged older sister to Benjamin Higgenbottom (adeptly voiced by Andy Richter) and is the owner of Happy, a sweet mutt with a habit of eating things that disrupt his digestion like, oh say, a pair of pantyhose. I found myself one afternoon drawn to the couch, listening to this hilarious Bessie talk and talk in a vaguely familiar voice. And then I saw the credits--and I think you can all see where this is going--AMY POEHLER is the voice of Bessy! And she writes the thing! Oh happy happy, joy joy. In fact, Bessie is pretty much Katelyn, only animated. My heart is full.

A big part of Bessy's charm is her voice, which I unfortunately cannot imitate for you here (or really anywhere else, for that matter) but she also says the most delightfully funny things:

Bessy, in an attempt to psychoanalyze little brother Benjamin regarding his massive food issues, suggests she administer to him a rorschach test. Holding up a picture of what is clearly a steak, a mound of mashed potatoes, and 4 asparagus spears, she asks Ben, "What do you see here?" He replies "Uh...I see a steak, mashed potatoes and asparagus". She says "Wrong! I see a jazz trio.....but this isn't about me!"

See? Funny.

Here is an adorable picture of Amy and her husband Will. I wish they were my neighbors. I would totally babysit their kid for free.
And did I mention that Erik Wiese, of SpongeBob fame, directs this little gem? Because if I didn't already, I meant to earlier. This cartoon has got street cred up the wazoo. So go DVR it. I do.
*apparently there is some confusion regarding the lyrics to the Mighty B theme song. Mine. I thought the opening line was I got a beat so I will keep dancing but according to somebody else it is I got the beat so all the kids dance with me. Who knows. I'm waiting for Amy to sort this one out. Wouldn't it be cool if she googled her name and came to visit? Maybe she already does visit! Hmmm. Do you think she could actually be West Fargo? She seems Midwestern to me.