Saturday, September 20, 2008

Kirsten, It's Your Time

Little Kirsty-Lou is turning 24 today. To honor her properly I thought I might make one of those ever-popular blog lists that were all the rage a few years ago. You know, like 24 things about Kirsten. So that got me thinking--about the number 24. What first springs to mind, naturally, is my new obsession with the series 24. But Kirsten doesn't really like the show all that much (Nic loves it! Kirsten tolerates it!) plus the show isn't all that new so maybe we should just drop it. I'm dropping it. (Unless you want to discuss Agent Edmunds. Please leave your thoughts in the comments section.)

24 (or so) things I want you to know about Kirsten:

First of all, I want you to know that Kirsten is a Classy Lady. She is super stylish, talented, funny (like witty--not kooky) and she really upped her collective awesomeness by marrying Nic, who at times, is even more awesome than Kirsten. So just how talented is she? She has her own line of wedding invitations that she designs herself at http://www.evapaul.etsy.com/. They are really really beautiful and unique and most of them use the names that she and Nic hope to give to future children so they would both really appreciate it if you would keep that in mind and not steal them for your own use. But feel free to order invitations!

Here is Kirsten at her wedding luncheon. Isn't she adorable? And don't even think for a second that her necklace and her plate match perfectly by coincidence. Because that is just the type of gal she is. I don't even know how to wear a necklace, much less coordinate it with tableware.

Shhh, here's a secret. Kirsten can't keep a secret. She also hates being kept in suspense so as her birthday gift, I am letting her see her Christmas present early. It is a quilt that she both knows about and is (somewhat) patiently waiting for, but she doesn't know that I have actually started working on it. Up until now she was only hoping I was. It was supposed to be her wedding present from when she got married last June. And that, my friends, is how you turn one gift into three. I picked out a bunch of vintage prints, because that is her style.



Kirsten is having her first baby, a daughter named Daphne, in January. I can't wait. Because I am (sigh...13 years) older than Kirsten, I have always felt somewhere between a mom and a sister to her. And she obliges me and acts like a child and a little sister--which are quite the same thing, actually. It is fun to watch her grow up into a real adult (if a short one at that) and becoming a wife, and now incubator. She has a flair for the dramatic and she knows what's cool. I am not cool or dramatic, but she likes me anyway.

One more thing. All growing up, whenever Kirsten had a school project that involved making a poster of her and her family (which was often in her academic pursuits) she always took pains to find the most horrid pictures of us, and the most darling pictures of herself. I think most people do this a little, subliminally, but Kirsten took it to a whole new level. Just one of her many funny (see! I told you she was funny) and endearing qualities. To please her on this, her special day, I have included a picture from her pre-wedding dinner last year at The Pie in SLC. Look how cute she is! And then look at the dark character behind her, lurking in the background, with a wary look and obviously a generous cheek full of food in her mouth. Happy Birthday Kirsten! You look cute and I look afraid/un-alluring! (Yes, Nic. You are cute too.)


So was that 24 things? Possibly no. But it is 1:00 am and she is gonna wonder why this tribute is already an hour late. I love you Kirsten! So grown up!

4 comments:

rebecca said...

I have quilt envy. I think I'll be dusting off my sewing machine sooner rather than later.

the binghams. said...

JULIE! I was really really hoping I would receive a blog tribute- I think its better than a funeral because I am actually aware of the nice things you say. And you did not disappoint. the quilt is AMAZING!!! I love it! Thanks for all those nice things you've said.. you've made this birthday morning really great. nice work sister.

Adrienne said...

oooooohhhh my holy crap I'm still laughing over that Pie pic. That just made my day. I keep busting up just THINKING about it. Oh, one day I hope to be as funny as a Pedersen. Till then, I'll just laugh at you.

Sarah said...

I'm ALL about mental health projects. Really, my mental health is dangerously low at the moment...as is, sadly, my availability. However, I will do my very, very, very best. I'm dying to see Kelly and to meet you IRL!