FYI....Only 90 more sewing days until Halloween!!!
To me, if you are talking holiday magic (with the duly-noted Christmas and Easter excepted) you are talking Halloween. I know, I know, most moms dread the day. All that candy and the stress and expense associated with dressing kids up, yada yada yada. Let me just say, you are welcome to your opinions, but none of those reasons mean anything to me. All that candy? BRING IT ON. I remember the joy of the candy feast as a child and still to this day it gives me goosebumps. (And cellulite bumps, but that is not the purpose of this post.) The stress and expense of outfitting the kids in creative costumes? Not if you plan ahead. Pick up bargain fabrics at Wal-Mart for $1 a yard. Get started early, so you aren't trying to hot glue gun 1001 boa feathers to a chicken costume at 5:30 in the evening on Halloween. And anyway, what brings on the holiday spirit quicker than a little "I'm never gonna pull this off" adrenaline rush? Personally, I find it to be rather inspiring to the creative process.
A few pictures to get you in the holiday spirit:

Highlights from other years that I cannot locate pictures for at this very instant:
Josie was Little Bo Peep and Jon was her sheep. Sid was Inspector Gadget. Star Wars has been well-represented, with an Ewok, Storm Trooper, Yoda, a Jawa (the coolest, with glowing eyes), C-3PO, Darth Vader, Anakin Skywalker (just before he goes to the Dark Side) and if Jon doesn't change his mind in the next week or so: Jango Fett (possibly Boba, don't know yet.) We have had an angel fish, Kermit and Miss Piggy (total type casting for our 2 month old twins) and a Dalmatian, complete with dog collar and red Converse Hi-Tops.
If you think I am crazy for all this sewing, you are right. Disclosure: I have been a complete sewing nerd since my earliest memories. As a small child, I worked my way through many a complicated "sewing" project wherein I made wardrobes for my stuffed animals (which included an elephant...not your easiest animal shape, people) utilizing the very primitive "stapling" technique that I pioneered. By the time I was nine, I had begged my mother so earnestly and incessantly for her to teach me to use her sewing machine that she finally gave in from sheer emotional exhaustion. But not before she had reminded me a bajillion times to not sew my finger. A real sewing no-no, apparently. And can you believe it? I have been sewing for 28 years now, and yet never, no not even once have I sewn my finger like Mom's fully-grown, ADULT neighbor from her childhood, Rhona Dunbar did, lo these many years ago. (No offense Rhona, but I always thought less of you for this sewing indiscretion, and how it effected my mother's judgement.)
So began a sewing career that has spanned the decades. After many a sweaty summer day spent in Clovis hunched over scraps of fabric that were destined for Barbie's nights on the town with Ken, I moved on to my own clothing line (of note: Naugahyde slippers) and then household goods (quilts and bedding for my doll house). Much later, I am quite sure I was the only Miamaid that enjoyed "sewing your own pajamas night" at Mutual. I took a sewing class in high school so that I could sew during school time. In addition to the required pillow case project, I sewed my own Prom dress during class, a dusty rose/mauve affair dripping in lace. My biggest project came a few years after that--my wedding dress--complete with a massive bow on the back that spanned from hip to hip, and sleeves that Ariel the Mermaid would have swooned over.
Unfortunately for me, my sewing projects rarely get much attention now, what with my five little monkeys and all. And so that is one of the reasons I go plum loco for Halloween. It is my massive excuse for whipping out the sewing machine and spending hours a day working up a child-sized costume replica from a 3 1/2 inch action figure. Let's face it, as a mom I've got to do something to hang my hat on. Because years from now, I'm pretty sure none of my kids will be reminiscing about my home cooking....
So now I am staring down the barrel of the next three months as I race to get 5 custom-made costumes finished. August is the month the kids make their final choices, and I buy the fabric. September through the end of October is just crazy. The kitchen is a mess, because that is where I sew. Pie patiently (or not) puts up with even less home cooked meals than usual, and whatever we do eat is guaranteed to be heavily garnished with fake fur fuzzies. And while I feel for him, I can't help but rationalize: My kids don't remember from one day to the next what we eat or if the house work has been neglected, but they can remember each and every one of their costumes. And you can bet I love the whole process. Just don't expect me to be any use until November.
ps. Even now, occasionally, when I am telling my mom about being exhausted from staying up all night sewing, she cautions me to be careful to not sew my finger. How cute is she?

9 comments:
You rock! Those are the most amazing costumes. I'd have to drug Wayne to wear a penguin costume. That's one of the most hilarious things I've every seen. As I was pulling things together for Christina's party, I was wishing I had more silly costumes to add to the project runway challenge. Too bad your stash is so very far away!
Seriously, I am wordless. You sew. You sew WELL. (Honey, you sew better than any sewer I KNOW --that's pronounced so-er, by the way not the sewer. Um.)
I am so impressed. I had heard tell of you halloween sewing, and I gotsta say, you do not disappoint. It IS eerie that we both posted about Halloween in July, a day apart though. And I DO have the black hair for a witch, so maybe that has something to do with it. Sidenote: I will NEVER forget Nana telling me that Julie was sewing her own wedding dress. It only made you that much cooler. Oh, and that you were growing your nails out for the wedding and didn't want to break one. What is WITH the Soelbergs and nail worry?!
My, OH my....you DO stand alone in this Halloween-loving department....but thanks for the holiday magic you sprinkled my way, cause heaven knows I can use it when it comes to Halloween----I don't heart it AT ALL! But you do whip up quite the masterpieces--pretty impressive. I have memories of my mom doing the very same thing. She too, always custom-sewed our costumes and the boys were always sure to be matchy-matchy martians or pirates...or a whole zoo of lions, tigers and bears! I leave my sewing skills for drapes, duvets, and other home decor. I can see clearly that I am NOT the fun one! I bet dress-ups at your house are just the best. You could host a neighborhood...or a primary!
I think you are my long, lost soul sister (along with Kelly, of course). Halloween is my favorite holiday! And unlike the inspirational, tear-inducing story of your sewing roots, my sewing skills are the direct result of making halloween costumes for my kids. Alas, graduate school was the nail on my personal sewing coffin. But, by next year I'll be done with classwork and I'll be warming up my Bernina. Maybe we can have a Halloween costume sew off...
wow.... you did not just challenge my sister to a halloween costume sew off... this is going to get ROWDY
In adulthood, I've gone in for the more subtle costumes. At the trunk-or-treat one year, I wore my mechanic's jumpsuit, smeared some grease on my face and lay under the front end of the car with a few wrenches and a bucket of candy. It took some folks a while to realize it was a costume and not just a broken-down van.
The following year I took my bike, filled up the under-saddle toolbag with candy and stood there in my cycling shorts and jersey. By that time, people in the ward had started to ignore me. . .
Okay, love love LOVE the costumes. You do so well, but I knew this after visiting Kelly...I've never made her babies quilts after seeing yours. It was perfect. And satin! I'm done. :)
I hesitate to add this, but Mom and I have both sewn our fingers. One wouldn't think it is possible, but it is - Even to people like me with astute powers of observation. (Wait, today's Saturday, not Thursday?)
Kasey, your comment made me so sad! I have seen your sewing and it is beautiful. Please. Sew for those little Bastian children. They are in desperate need of blankets. Winters in Florida are brutal. Okay, those last two sentences--I am making fun of myself there. It seems all of my visits to Kelly (in Hawaii and Florida) involved me bringing BLANKETS to her. Always, always blankets. I am profusely apologetic about them, yet still I bring blankets. Maybe I could learn to sew something more appropriate to the setting. Like awnings and such. Maybe a large, pieced awning. With flowers, power rangers and Dora the Explorer on it. And Hannah Montana.
Wait...you sewed your own wedding dress??!! I am duly impressed
Post a Comment