I am embarrassed to admit it looks like this most of the time.
Here we see clothes on the floor that need to be sorted and put in the basement for at least a couple of years until Tommy grows into them, at which time I will drag them out, look and them and think "what a bunch of junk" and then stick them in a box in the garage for Good Will. I put them here on the floor to remind myself to pick up more plastic storage bins at Wal-Mart. I have yet to remember, but I do find myself trying to kick these clothes into a more orderly pile whenever I walk past, so I guess that is something. DVDs constitute the majority of things that have been left on this counter (they belong in the locked cabinets below). I counted them recently, and I can tell you that we own well over TOO MANY DVDs. (They are my kid's favorite babysitter, what can I say?) Also cluttering up the joint; at least three sewing projects that are in various stages of "almost finished/willful neglect". My Bernina, circa 1974. I leave it out because any moment now I may fancy stitching up some curtains. And then there are all the usual things like Scriptures, Church bags, trick-or-treat buckets from last Halloween, important papers I will not be able to find when I need them, etc.
My point is, I don't deserve a nice pantry like this. I don't take care of it. I ignore it. I guess it's true what they say, you always hurt the one you love. Maybe I could hide it behind some charming bead curtains?

9 comments:
I find it especially charming that this post comes right after your 'organized' post. There's something to be said for your get-it-out-in-the-open honesty! And honestly, we all have those spots in our homes. Mine is the walk-through from the garage laundry room (hate it) which is often an obstacle course, as well as the garage that in no way will a car ever squeeze into with all the appliances from my do-it-yourself kitchen remodel and craigslist 'finds' that didn't make it into the house and probably never will. I don't even want to talk about my kids' rooms! I say we just chock it up to having so darn many kids...blame it on that. It works, right? But I do like how you've locked yourself out of your cupboards--it's not just baby-proof, it's julie/pie proof...bravo! When you figure out a remedy for the walk-through-the-door and drop it on the counter clutter problem, let me know, I'm all-ears. And just so you feel better, I have a pile of clothes from Monson that he's giving to his cousin that I have been tripping over at the top of my stairs now for THREE weeks. We're pathetic together.
"Streaks on the china, never mattered before, who cares."
I call this "the drop zone", and I think you are fortunate that you seem to have only one! We have two: the entry hall table (which is the first thing you see when you open the front door, and the first available surface for my big kids to dump whatever junk they are currently holding onto.) And we have the long, stupid, useless "bar" between the kitchen and family room that practically begs us to junk it up. (I can clean that thing twice a day and it still looks like a thrift shop counter within hours!) So I appreciate you coming out of the closet (or butler's pantry) on this one! You are doing a good thing for all mother-kind here... What is that quote? "If only women would tell the true stories of their lives, we would find the world an easier place to live in" ? Or something like that. But, in essence, you showing us your junk makes us all feel a little better about our own. Even better, as SheDaisy sang, "We all got a little junk in the trunk... If I laugh at yours, then you'll laugh at mine!" Okay, getting carried away here. You get the gist. Plus, I'd rather you be posting on your blog and commenting on mine than cleaning out your "drop zone." Call me selfish!
Yeah but you should see how messy the Hufnagels' place is.
Nice reference Wayne! I am embarrassed to admit that I had to imdb Hufnagel, but I am not at all ashamed that I am an imdb addict.
Kelly, you silly rabbit! Thinking there was only one! The BP is just the WORST of the bunch. I also took a picture of the area Tommy had defaced in the Vaseline post, but decided that was overkill. (Plus, you can see it in the afore mentioned post anyway) No, pretty much any horizontal plane is fair game in this house. For the record, I also hate my pass-through laundry room (just like Shay) and then there is this completely useless high shelf area connected to the fireplace in our bedroom that-you guessed it-gets lots of "chuck it up there and forget about it" attention. BTW, this was where I found my organization book last time.
Who would have thought, after all these years, that I would have a son named Wesley. Fortunately for him (and me), the tormented kid on the show had no influence in our naming decision.
I'm just trying to get your comments up to par with mine...
also-
just practicing my karate moves.
thats my favorite butler's pantry memory. skinned heals.
I have to say I'm near sick to death of all of this improvement and self-flagellating we force upon ourselves. Tonight I actually stopped by Walgreens to purchase diet drugs but was deterred by the fact that they were locked up. It's kind of humiliating to find a Walgreen's employee to ALLOW you to buy some Slimquick. And my house? It only seems to be clean on the one day every other week that the maid comes. Sometimes I try really hard to conjure up some OCD, but usually find that I'm way too lazy. Maybe you could get Josie to karate chop some of the stuff in the butler's pantry. My best friend on the road to organization is the trash can. Less stuff always equals less mess.
Post a Comment