Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Brother You're Never Fully Dressed (with or) Without a Smile. (The idea being your are never wearing enough clothes, that's all I'm trying to say.)

Tonight I found Tommy attempting to climb one of the trees in our backyard, wearing an adorable ensemble of oversized tie-dye T shirt (courtesy of big sister Jos) and oversized snow boots (courtesy of big brother Jon). I whipped out the camera and snapped a few action shots of Little Bit doing his best to get up that tree. When I looked at the pictures later, I thought again, for the thousandth time: This kid always looks like he has no parents.

Tommy's typical wardrobe can be broken down into three distinct groups:
Nakey (wearing only a diaper)
Half-nakey (wearing one piece of clothing, in addition to the diaper)
Dressed (wearing a set of miss-matched pajamas)
And part of the problem is definitely me. Boy number 4, warm weather, a kid who prefers easy-breezy, who am I to demand presentable apparel? My attitude on clothing him is, at best, rather laissez faire (French for lacking any initiative in dressing one's fifth child). Yes, I admit it, I have begun not to care....
And then there is his part in this. He is a slob. His table manners are atrocious. He makes several messes a day, on average, and most involve such non-clothing friendly items as syrup, markers, orange juice, etc. His own daily habits are clothing averse. See? See how I am now shifting the blame to the 2 1/2 year old? I'm convinced! This isn't even my fault. It is not my fault that every picture I have of him on any random day (Sundays and special occasions excepted), he looks like he dressed himself. Because he did! He will bring me clothes from who knows where and ask me to put them on him. He will find me and say "Little bit need pants. Little bit go outsidy."
(Note: he does not call himself Little Bit. That is merely the phrase that begins EVERYTHING that ever comes out of his mouth. Sometimes he is so excited that he repeats himself and says "Little bit little bit watch Pom Pom Pooey!" Which means he really wants to watch Hong Kong Phooey. And who doesn't, I would like to know?)

8 comments:

rebecca said...

Caroline's idea of dressing herself is finding as much pink as she can. I mean if the shirt is pink and the pants are pink then it matches, right? With Thomas I had to get a days of the week sorter for his closet, so everyday he's set (as long as I'm caught up with the laundry:)). It's a happy day when they can dress themselves and the outfit actually works.

Love the pantry shot! He's a go getter. I've got a few of those too:). Hilarious!

Sarah said...

Well, it seems I can hardly comment based on my plaid shorts victory '08. However, I will say that I let him pick out everything without nary a mention of 'matching' or 'coordinating,' and this is precisely because I DON'T CARE. If he's happy and dressing himself...I'm happy. Don't you think this freedom might/could mean that our last kids will be more creative and focused on the really important things in life? Like Little Debbie's snack cakes? I find those very, very important.

the binghams. said...

I had a dream where I was babysitting him last night. We were at the Evansons (obviously, why not?) and there was a fire. i could only remember that I was babysitting this adorable little black girl until the fireman came to evacuate us and THEN I remembered little bit.(don't worry, i got him out...) I like that name for him but I think at 14 he might feel a little inadequate in the locker room.

Ryan & Keri said...

Since I've read your post last about all of the monkeys and Lile, my David has begun climbing higher and higher. Did I get cursed when I opened your blog?? I can't take my eyes off of him now or else he is on top of everything. SCARY!!!

shayla said...

It is one patient mommie who lets her monkeys dress themselves. I let my girls do the same thing, but they're fashionistas compared to your Tommy--but at least Tommy manages to get his feet covered...with something! My little girls always have to be in sundresses and barefoot...even when it's a cold 60 degrees like it is today in usually beautiful San Diego. I say hooray for the independent children! I don't have time for co-dependency these days...except in the hair department as you know.

TNIRYAN said...

Hello, again! Just thought you would feel more secure knowing that your unbridled loony-ness didn't scare me away. I've had a project monopolizing my computer time. In fact, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy knowing that someone far away thinks of me whenever they see sweetened condensed milk. It has been my dream to have my name forever mentally linked to condensed milk. You should know that whenever I drive by a donut shop, I think of you. Yes, my 2-yr-old is evil-incarnate, but it sounds like she has a long-lost sibling living with you. We've GOT to get these two together. The experience should produce some sort of behavior modification, right? They'll cancel each other out, right? Too much wishfull thinking? Fine! Then YOU come up with a good idea because I'm out!

errin julkunen-pedersen said...

i don't think there's a thing wrong w/ tommy's fashion sense, in fact, if i could get away without wearing pants in public, i'd probably be dressed a lot like him. and i finally put a new post up, i know, i'm lazy.

Vegor said...

To get a window into what Tommy's fashion will no doubt resemble in 15 years head over to:

http://www.hel-looks.com/

It is a fun little site my darling wife hipped me to that looks at the daring fashions of your average Helsinkian. Errin took one look at this site and felt right at home with her fellow Finns.