Friday, June 6, 2008

5

Recently, I have seen a number of blog posts and emails on a similar topic that is all the rage right now. 100 things. 60 questions. Tags. I'm sure you have seen these too, and maybe even did your own. (I did a tag recently and it was okay, just very long.) So I decided to embark on the 100 things list, because I had such a good time reading other people's lists. I quit at 62 things. And then I decided that about 90% of those things were totally lame and not worth even listing, so I deleted them. What I had left were 5 things that I thought were even remotely noteworthy. And here they are. The 5 best COMPLETELY USELESS BITS OF KNOWLEDGE about me. Enjoy.

1. Even though my two oldest boys are colorblind, I insist on running a household where items are color-coded for each child. Cups, plates, toothbrushes, Easter Eggs. This can sometimes create problems for Sid and Calvin, like this past Easter. We were all in the backyard looking for Jon's last two candy filled eggs. After searching for a good 5 minutes for those orange eggs, we found them in Sid's basket, nestled amongst his green ones.

2. I can remember whole conversations I had as a kindergartner. This astounds Pie, as his first real random memory comes from around the 7th grade. (I must admit, I impress myself with this one.)

3. Because of the several hideous and demeaning Ramona Quimby, Age 8 haircuts I endured as a child, you will never see me with short hair. My mother is to blame for years of what she referred to as a "Dorothy Hamill cut".

4. My bishop of my youth, Bishop Kiggins, looked exactly like Han Solo. I would obsess about this profound need I had to tell him that, but I was too shy.

5. When I was a little kid, my feet were abnormally small for my age/size. Now they are just normal, regular size feet.

6 comments:

Wayne said...

So no word about dabbling in vegetarianism in your youth?

rebecca said...

My sisters about died when I let me little girls get their hair chopped in UT a few summers ago. "We hated our pixy cuts as kids! How could you do this to your girls?!" I had forgotten the trauma apparently. I let the girls grow out their hair and then Caroline took scissors to her noggin. I hide it pretty well, but it's taken well over a year for it to grow out.
Oh, and I had a huge crush on Han Solo, so that would be a problem for me if I grew up in your ward. In fact I'd have to be in therapy or just avoid eye contact at all cost.

Julie K said...

Sorry Wayne, it didn't make the cut. Along with my allergy to raw lumber and sawdust, which unfortunately interferes with my long-cherished dream of becoming Amish. (I just imagine the Amish amongst a lot of unfinished wood.)

TNIRYAN said...

I never had to deal with short cuts that I didn't want. I was allowed to let it grow free and wild as a hippie child. But I didn't keep it properly brushed so it was constantly matted and snarled and always hanging in my face. Thus, my sisters all had their hair religiously chopped. I did have bangs, though. I thought everyone did. The first time I noticed a picture of a girl without bangs with her hair pulled back in ponytails, I asked my mom how she got her bangs to disappear like that. I was fascinated, and now none of my girls have bangs.

the binghams. said...

i am still learning things about you after all these years. or maybe i just haven't been paying attention. that is so tender about sid and easter. poor color blind children. you should teach them brail and then brail code everything in the house- this way there won't be that color issue.

Michaelson Family said...

Julie,
I found your blog! Seriously, you are hilarious!