Monday, May 19, 2008

I WILL scream for ice cream

It is 10:53 in the morning and I am just licking the chocolate off my fingers from my second ice cream sandwich of the day. The first one--a breakfast sandwich, if you will--was nearly two hours ago. I plan on eating zero more sandwiches today, but I think one can get into trouble over-planning things.

I have a problem. And it's name is "I am addicted to ice cream sandwiches".

Two weeks ago, I was blissfully forgetful of the deliciousness of these devilish treats. Up until then, I had for months innocently walked past them there in the freezer case without giving them so much as a glance. (I think I can legitimately blame my new Super Walmart for causing my frozen treat woes. If I hadn't been so lost in the new ginormous freezer section, searching around for my Lean Cuisine's, I'm sure I would have never happened upon them.) But there they were, and they caught my attention because they were a new flavor. Banana Split. Now if I haven't already mentioned it here on my blog, I am not a big fan of bananas. Bleck. But because we are delightfully opposite in every way, Pie loves them. He is a banana eating fool. He eats one every day, and so when I saw these new treats I felt an overwhelming urge to present them to my husband. Also, I figured I would have one myself because, hey, ice cream.

They were really yummy, and in no way representative of anything even remotely authentic in banana flavor. Pie and I hid them in the garage freezer and managed to finish off the box in just a few days. Then this really adorable thing happened. I was at Walmart again and he was at Sam's and at the very same instant, we both bought more sandwiches! My box contained a dozen, while his was the institutional size (3 dozen). So then we had 4 dozen sandwiches calling to us, from the garage.

With so many sandwiches to enjoy, what started out as an innocent little treat has now become a big problem. There are at least another dozen out there, and unfortunately I am showing no signs of ice cream sandwich fatigue. Actually, I feel like my love for them continues to increase--even as my behiney increases--and just last night I mentioned to Pie that I should invent some sort of delicious dessert that features the sandwiches. So I sat down at the computer to search for recipe ideas, and look what popped up:


Holy Gosh! It is the most beautiful thing I have seen in a while. It calls for 12 sandwiches, a half cup of hot fudge sauce, 8 Oreo cookies (which seems like a shamefully inadequate amount of cookies, doesn't it?) and a large tub of Cool Whip. The recipe indicates that it serves 12, so I think that it ought to come out just perfectly for the seven of us, plus a hearty breakfast tomorrow (for myself). Who knows? Maybe this dessert will cure me of my ice cream sandwich addiction. Because now that I think about it, I haven't had Oreo's in a while.

6 comments:

the binghams. said...

i sincerely laughed loudly when you both purchased them at the same time. truly magical, you two.
month and a half till we are hanging out!

Vegor said...

For quite some time I was addicted to these Wal-Mart brand treats called Nut Guiltys. They were a rip off of the Snickers Ice Cream bars. I was Nut Guilty by reason of insanity. And they made me into the man I am today. Fat.

TNIRYAN said...

Hello, Julie! Thanks for de-lurking and leaving a comment on my blog a little bit back. Judy recently told me that our blogs made her "A" list, and I can see why she likes yours. She called mine clever as well, but I secretly think she's just in it for the grandchildren. I think she thinks we would get along well together, and as I read about the ice cream sandwich fetish I was right there with you until you bagged on bananas. I immediately thought "who does this crazy woman think she is?!" But I'll give you a second chance. How do you feel about eggnog?

Sarah said...

Hi Julie!! Because I talked Sterling into springing for a personal trainer and PROMISED to be a die hard fitness buff, I find myself having to sneak in my treats on the sly. It sounded fun and first, but I am quickly tiring of the charade. Really, I cannot be expected to work out with Helga the Horrible and then starve myself for weeks on end. But that was kind of the deal I made. Again, I find myself questioning my judgement. Please. Eat another sandwich and think of me. Too bad you don't have Blue Bell.

Sarah said...

Really, anyone who can come up with the phrase 'fofillian dollars' is a friend of mine.

I haven't heard "English weenie" in a long time. I'm the ultimate English weenie...in fact, in a few years, when I finish my degree, I think I'll have my students call me Dr. Weenie. Dr. Jones is so generic.

TheBenandKaties said...

Could you send a link to the recipe? After reading this post and looking at the picture, I feel a fever coming on. The only prescription - more sandwiches.