Friday, May 16, 2008

23 Questions

Having just been tagged by Kasey, and being nothing if not punctual (when it comes to things that I take an interest in), here it is folks, what you may or may not have ever considered:

How Pie and Julie met, including the inner workings of a relationship between two people who couldn't be more dissimilar, yet they somehow remain happily committed to each other (but not in a nauseating way).
How did you meet your spouse? We met, of all places, at BYU. Specifically the Smith Family Living Center's Step Down Lounge Outdoor Patio Dance. I Know, so cliche. It was my ward's first social of the year and I was leading my roommates and female ward-mates in an Israeli folk dance that I had just learned that very morning in my folk dance class. We were in a large, forbidding circle and Pie, Jim and some superfluous Other Dude (whose name neither of us are able to remember at the moment) literally crashed through our circle and began dancing in the middle, in a very "look at us dancing here in the midst of all of you" way. Pie walked up and got right in Sue-Anne's space and said "Hi. I'm Pie", to which she very soberly responded "Hi. I'm Cake". A few days later I was walking to the RB and Pie was biking past and greeted me with a rather chipper "Hi Angela!". (Angela was in the apartment next to mine and (confusingly for Pie) also a female with brown hair.)
Where did you go on your first date? This is difficult to say, because we were just friends hanging out together for that Fall semester when we first met. We walked around a lot, I remember, but we only had one official date, where we went to a movie. Aladdin. I paid.
How long have you been together? Met in August, 1992, began dating January 1993, married August, 1993.
Who eats more? Certainly he does, but only because he is a big, strapping man. When we were dating and newlyweds, and I was a dance major spending all my days in Lycra, I never actually finished a meal. We would go out to dinner and he knew whatever I ordered, he would get at least half, so he planned on it. When I was pregnant with Sid and finally past those first puke months, I remember being with him at a restaurant and we both looked down kind of shocked at my plate (which I had just licked clean) and he was sad. I have been eating all my own meals ever since.
Who said I love you first? We said it to each other, in Manti Utah in February of 1993. It was a bit anti-climactic because we had kind of talked about it before hand.
Who is taller? He is, by precisely 2 inches. We both lie upwards so I say I'm 5'7" and he says he's 5'9".
Who sings better? I can only sing 3 notes successfully, so definitely him--although I often give complaining looks when he sings in the kitchen--which I find inexplicably vulgar.
Who is smarter? Well, we both secretly think we are smarter. But I win hands-down in the memory department.
Who does the laundry? Me, of course, because I am home with the washer and dryer. But I manage each year to do less and less. He now pretreats his own clothes, and on Monday's and Friday's (my laundry days) he is handed a large stack of clean laundry that is not folded, with all his socks, un-matched, mingled in. My theory is, I do the laundry but I am not Ellie the upstairs maid, so no folding. Plus I am not outstanding in the field of sock matching, apparently.
Who does the dishes? Me, loading the dishwasher. He rinses. Chaos ensues when he does the loading.
Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? I sleep on the left, only somewhat resentfully.
Who pays the bills? He does now, after much urging on my side. The guy works on 100% commission, with that super-regular Realtor paycheck. Like I really ever have a clue...
Who mows the lawn? Pie takes care of all our yard care needs. I am willing to sweat, and I am willing to work with dirt, but I refuse to do both at the same time. It disgusts me.
Who cooks dinner? I do, but not very well. I will not dwell on this because I think it has been pretty well covered in nearly all of my previous posts.
Who drives when you are together? Definitely Pie. I hate to drive, and he hates my driving (as much as that happy little fella can hate anything) so it works out. I am not overjoyed most of the time with his driving either, but we all are called upon to make sacrifices.
Who is more stubborn? Ah, good question. I am more overtly stubborn, but he is stubborn too, he just likes to hide it underneath other more palatable personality traits, like "determined".
Who is the first to admit they are wrong? He is usually first, if only to call off my dogs. He cannot stand contention. Of course I appreciate him admitting he is wrong, but only if I can tell he really means it, and isn't just trying to placate me. And I can always tell the difference!
Who kissed who first? It was mutual. But he definitely pursued me, after we had been friends for a while. I was so utterly clueless. Also, Pie had lots of girls he was friendly with, and I really didn't feel like standing in line.
Who proposed? He did. Leo Carillo State Beach, the weekend of his 28th birthday in May, 1993. At the time, 28 sounded sooo much older than me (I was 22). Now 28 sounds fantastic.
Who is more sensitive? Neither one of us are blubberers, but I would say he falls on the more sensitive end of the male spectrum, while I am on the more callous side of the female spectrum. I like to occasionally make fun of him about this, in my own adorably callous way.
Who has more friends? Do I even have to answer this? Isn't it obvious that the people-loving, big crowd enjoying, future politician, real estate agent has more friends than his rather bookish wife who enjoys staying indoors?
Who has more siblings? Pie, with seven siblings. I have 5.
Who wears the pants? We each have our arena of "in charge", but if one of us is going to give the other "the business" about something, I am definitely the giver.
And on that cheery note, we're done! I now tag Kelly (welcome back!) Becky, and Kirsten (taking a chance on the newlywed, here. DO NOT SICKEN US.)

2 comments:

the binghams. said...

quite enjoyable. hope i didn't sick you out.

SpaceyKasey said...

Wow. That was fast. And so thoroughly delightful to read. I think you and I have a lot of personality traits in commmon. (All the good ones, of course!)

Aren't you glad Kelly's back? (Sort of makes it sound like she was in a coma or something.) Let's keep pestering her to keep her going.