Monday, July 14, 2008

Oh, Sweet Mystery of Life....

This is a picture of Baby Guy and his bwankies. The white one is the "yellow" bwanky and the blue one is the "gween" bwanky. It is entirely possible we are looking at another one of my color blind children. (Also possible: Color Awareness Deficiency. It is when your child is not color blind but still hasn't a clue when it comes to the color wheel.) For over a month, the yellow, preferred blanket was unable to be located. We all searched around for it and couldn't find it. (Thank goodness for the blue back-up blanket.) The next day I was determined to find it, so I spent lots of my day traipsing from one end of my house to the other, up and down stairs, searching in all the obvious places. No dice. The children came home from school and I offered them A DOLLAR (which in kid money is roughly A Lot of money) to the child who could produce the blanky. Still no luck. I then spent a day looking in all the unlikely places. Inside the oven. Under the sink in the laundry room. In the garage. Nothing. The children lost interest in the payout and I was growing increasingly frustrated. Tommy certainly wasn't helping the mood, wailing for his yellow bwanky. Days passed. I pretended like I had given up, but a couple of times a day I would pounce on some terribly unlikely, unsuspecting location (a box of Christmas videos in the basement, sealed up from last January) and shout AHA! as I fling the thing open. They say the element of surprise is the best offense. I believe them. But still no bwanky. Until about 2 hours ago.

I am sitting on the couch, sending really important texts, and I realize Tommy is looking at me and sucking his thumb, holding the yellow blanket. I do a complete Scooby Doo double-take. I shout happily, You found your blanket! He continues on sucking in a very agreeable manner, nodding his head. I figure Pie must have found it and left it out for Tommy to find when we got back from the store, but he is as surprised as I am. Asking Tommy repeatedly where he found his blanket, I got this in his deep, halting, Frankenstein voice:

Yellow ... Bwanky. (Said with much head nodding, for emphasis.)

But, WHERE DID YOU FIND IT? (Said with much lifting of the eyebrows.)

Uhhh ... Yellow .. Bwanky! (Held aloft, with wonder at how I could be confused about what he was telling me.)

I guess I'll have to wait until Heaven to check out the tapes. I am really curious to know where that blankey was.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

You're lucky. $1 doesn't buy much but a tired, grumpy look around here. I paid $5 for someone to locate my scripture 2 minutes before we walked out the door to church. She found them in the drawer where I normally keep them. I swear I opened that drawer to no scriptures. Now I'm beginning to think they might be hiding my stuff to make money off of me. Hmmmm.

rebecca said...

I just got after Caroline to find her flower clippies. They ALL were gone from their storage spot. She acted like she didn't know what I was talking about, but went with me to the play room to look near the dolls and dress ups...no luck. That evening I found them by my desk. I had taken them to use for ideas for new clippies....Bad mommy!
Oh, and Wesley is a happy blanket baby...it's a plus that he's not attached to a particular one. He made do with Christina's blanket on our road trip and thankfully was fine with that, otherwise it would have been an even LONGER trip.

Adrienne said...

Holy crap, that's hilarious. Like the time Nat showed up with something of mine, that I had been scouring the house for, but helpful mister miser had ferretted it away in one of his many places. Hurray for the return of bwanky!