Wednesday, April 11, 2007


THE CURSE OF THE MOMMY, PART 1


Let me just state at the outset that my mother is a lovely person. Anyone who knows Ann knows she is just about the most kind and patient person ever, and that's including all those people from the Bible. She is a truly wonderful human being, so don't think that I am flippantly choosing to tell you one of the deepest and darkest secrets of my childhood involving my mother and her kitchen. Because I am not. Being flippant.
My mother was a horrible cook. I mean really, really bad. She made meals that if I think about them intensely enough they still can conjure up that gag reflex (ground beef/tomato paste/corn/olives, I am looking in your direction). Not that she didn't have her reasons, mind you, for her "cooking problem". No, my mother certainly didn't deserve her punishment, trying to cook for us rotten children. But I am not here to tell her side of the story, I'm here to tell mine--so off we go.
Most of the meals she provided to us children suffered from her own triple threat of cooking folly: Lack of budget, lack of time, and lack of any native talent when it came to improvisational cooking.

LACK OF BUDGET
My family growing up was very middle class, what I'm sure today would be considered poor. There were six kids, and my mom was a stay-at-home mom on a tight budget. We weren't without the bare necessities, but I do remember that each birthday and Christmas was sure to bring us a few toys and an equal measure of socks and underpants. A real problem for us kids was our total lack of prepackaged sweetened snack treats (Oh, the shaming realization that my mom would never be a Hostess mom!) and fast food. We begged for Taco Bell, Kentucky Fried Chicken, McDonald's--you know, the finer things in life. I can count on one hand the number of times we went out to a "restaurant" as a family. (Forget my mom's cooking for a moment and join me now for a fond remembrance of my favorite family outing to a restaurant.)
It was a Sunday after church in summer, and I was probably 9. We climbed into our 1976 Oldsmobile station wagon (powder blue with faux wood paneling on the sides) and made the very familiar, very sweaty 2 hour drive down to Grandma's house in Bakersfield to have lunch and spend the afternoon. There must have been some sort of misunderstanding this particular day because Grandma wasn't home and she hadn't even left us our customary lunch sack full of candy bars to melt on the front porch. My parents --after realizing that they could either turn around and spend another 2 hours driving home for a meal of whoknowswhat or stop at the nearest gas station and let us buy our own lunch sacks full of candy bars-- pulled into a nearby Happy Steak restaurant, what today would be a Denny's. We children were sufficiently awed and excited as we entered such unfamiliar territory and waited for the splendor to unfold. Menus! Straws! Saltines in cellophane! We thought our tiny hearts would burst. Perhaps this family trip to an actual restaurant is so clear in my mind because it happened to be the one and only time we ever ate out on a Sunday. I can still remember thinking later that day, "Well, Mom and Dad are surely now going to Hell and I am not even convinced it was worth it, even though I do get to keep these two plastic swords that held my sandwich together".

As kids, we would frequently yell "let's go to McDonald's for dinner!" and my parents would always wittily yell back "let's go to McPedersen's instead!", which is just the sort of hilarious tom-foolery that we Pedersens have always enjoyed. Another funny thing my dad used to say was "What? Are your arms painted on?" which was his humorous response whenever we kids asked him to do something for us, like get us a drink of water or put up the Christmas lights. He also would burp and say "choo" afterwards, pretending he had just sneezed. Just a funny, funny guy, my dad. But I am starting to get a little confused with all these digressions, so if you don't mind let's get back to the business at hand. My point is that there just wasn't money in the food budget for the shortcuts that would have helped my mother's cooking along, and that was only the first problem.

TOO MANY SUBSTITUTIONS

My mother also made the mistake of thinking that if she didn't have the actual ingredient that the recipe called for, she probably had something else that would work just as well (probably). Example: The differences between V-8 juice and tomato sauce are practically indistinguishable, especially on homemade pizza. Fact: V-8 juice is nasty and no one will be fooled into thinking that you just made very pink pizza sauce. (And just a side note here, I asked Papa John and he said outside of Canada, cooked hamburger and cheddar cheese are not actually pizza toppings) Another Fact: when you are trying to make a tomato and hamburger sauce for elbow macaroni and add in red food coloring to make the V-8 sauce look more tomato sauce-ish, the V-8 will still be pink -- and now so will all the noodles. (And I am asking, why did we even have V-8 juice at all? Shouldn't that money have gone straight into cans of tomato sauce?) And although this technically wasn't cooking, was mine the only family to suffer through the powdered milk fiasco? Who was she fooling? The milk was blue! And like we children wouldn't notice a 2 inch head of foam sitting atop our bowls of puffed wheat cereal. Powdered milk belongs in only one place people, and that place is called "food storage".

LACK OF TIME

What do you get when you cross a harried mother with a half-dozen hungry children? One of my mother's signature dishes; Blackened Surprise. As patient as my mother has always been with my father, her own children, and years of her in-home daycare children, she is equally that impatient with meal preparation. This could possibly be due in part to her busy schedule, or something. Seriously, if she had written The Joy of Cooking, it would have been titled The Joy of Cooked, because for her the journey was not half the fun. My mom's dad used to tell her "when it's brown it's cooking and when it's black it's done", and she has always taken this advice to heart. I am not kidding. She repeated it to us just last week as we gathered over a steaming dish of blackened green beans with the charred remains of slivered almonds. Of course my mother never sets out to burn dinner, it is just that when it happens she isn't particularly remorseful--and I know this because as apologetic as she is, she still feeds it to us anyway. I think she has actually learned to enjoy the taste.

The burning-the-food problem stems from my mother's first, unalterable rule of cooking: Always cook with the burner set on "HIGH". I grew up with a profound fear of the cherry-red burner. In the days before the microwave, my mom would often plunk a frozen block of hamburger onto her old iron skillet and begin defrosting it and cooking it simultaneously, thus saving oodles of time. To further hurry the whole thing along she cranked the burner up and then promptly left the room to start another project. I can remember more than once searching her out to tell her dinner was on fire (I actually spent most of my childhood believing that cooked hamburger is black and crunchy). One morning just a few winters ago she decided to heat up the last inch of hot chocolate that was left in the sauce pot and (naturally!) turned the heat up as high as it would go and then went upstairs and took a shower. My father was awakened by the smell of burning pan and went down to find black smoke billowing from the kitchen and the outer coating of the pan literally melted into little pools of aluminum, puddling there on the cook top. It is truly a wonder to me that she never started any of those wildfires that California is so famous for.

In closing, I would just like to add that my mother (who gave me permission to write all this, by the way) is really quite a good cook nowadays, with the exception of Jello--which is a story for another time. She doesn't burn things much anymore, and now that she no longer has all of us kids bugging her while she cooks, (and furthermore, now that she has access to such ethnically authentic convenience foods as Prego) she is quite capable of making many delicious dishes that everyone enjoys--everyone except Josie (this is because Josie, by her own admission, hates positively everything). And in case you were wondering, next month's part 2 of the Curse of the Mommy is all about my own abysmal cooking. Since I thought it might be enjoyable to take a peek at a few of my mom's delicious dishes from yesteryear, I have included a couple of recipes from my childhood.

RECIPES

Here are just a few of the yum-o dishes that my mother used to make. To her credit, most of these were retired in the late '80's, as we kids became teenagers. Enjoy!

Tater Tot Surprise:

ground beef, can of cream of something soup, package of tater tots

Minestrone Bake:

ground beef, can of minestrone soup, can of bean with bacon soup, package refrigerator biscuits

Burritos:

ground beef, refried beans, flour tortillas

Beef Stroganoff:

ground beef, can of cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, egg noodles

Spaghetti:

ground beef, packet of McCormick's spaghetti sauce seasonings, can of tomato sauce (or you know--whatever), spaghetti noodles (drops of red food coloring optional)

14 comments:

Vegor said...

Loved the recollections of by-gone meals. As the resident elephant of the family (meaning I never forget anything, especially any instance when I felt I had been wronged in some way) I feel it is my duty to clear up some points. These are minor edits and hopefully only add to the colorful tapestry that is our dear mother's cooking.

1. I don't recall a pizza sauce made with V-8, but I do remember the elbow macaroni V-8 disaster. I think I would remember someone desecrating a pizza! Julie failed to mention that our darling mother attempted to thicken the tomato juice sauce with white flour...which never mixed too well with the V-8. Instead it produced little pink flour balls that clung to the pasta. Years later I discovered what it looked like in Biology class...it was the spitting image of an endoplasmic reticulum; pink and covered in flour ribosomes. This dish also would have made an excellent model for a pancreas complete with little starchy Isles of Langerhans. But I too digress.

The best part of this award winning dish was the when our ever-sensitive father saw it, he exclaimed "Pack up the station wagon...we're heading to Chuckee Cheese!"

It is entirely possible that at some point the old man may have also uttered the culinary-ethnic slur "Wop Slop"... always said in a thick Danish accent--thus aping his own father who, shall we say, never developed a taste for Italian cuisine. By the way, if you are my mother or are from Utah please feel free to pronounce it EYE-talian.

2. Julie is quite right about Ann's innate ability to burn things...but she failed to mention that the usual answer was "It's Cajun style!" Our dear mother had a million of these excuses for crappy dinners. Like when a busy schedule would force her to serve dinner at 8:30 or 9..."We are eating like the French!" she would say. And I would think to myself "The French put a box frozen fish sticks in the oven and call it dinner!?!" On a side note, fish sticks were usually consumed with Goop (Fry sauce for you Utards) which my dad claims to have invented.

My theory as to why she burns things differs slightly from Julies'. I believe the poor woman has no concept of hot, as she has burnt off all the nerve endings in her hands years ago. I swear she could work in the circus, and in her act she would pick up blazing hot cookware bare-handed while crowds vomit in their mouths due to the stench of seered flesh.

3. I can't believe that Julie would write such an extensive article on our mom's abysmal cooking and not mention her bad luck with Jello. I don't think I ever saw fully set-up Jello until I was 15. It was always Chilled Jello Soup, or worse...Chilled Jello Soup with Hard Protective Skin. She seems to have gotten the hang of it by now...but to this day I am still very leery of the stuff, which is unfortunate as Jello is one of the four food groups in Utah's Nutrition Pyramid.

4. I had forgotten all about Happy Steak so I had to find the logo on the Interweb and here it is:

http://theimaginaryworld.com/kixo13.jpg


Good Times!

5.I also remembered that yes...we didn't eat out very often, but when we did it was usually at Me-N-Eds Pizza. Unfortunately Me-N-Eds has kept up with the times and I can't find examples of their former dated glory...Like the menus painted on the walls with things like "Ye Olde Pizza Shoppe". When Errin I went out to California for Mark and Lydia's wedding we came through Bakersfield one night and ate at Pizzaville USA, which I swear was an old Me-N-Eds because they had the same decor, with the long dark wooden benches and tables and faux wine barrels sticking halfway out the walls.

So I am almost done with this comment...I swear. But I did want to point out that Mom did try her best with what she had, and we weren't exactly the most discriminating gourmands. I was telling Julie today that when we were kids Mark had shown Matt and I how to make Baloney bowls by placing the processed meat slices in the microwave so that the sides curled up as it cooked. When it was finished we would, and feel free to gag here, drink the baloney juices that would collect at the bottom. Matt and I would also take turns seeing who could drink the most pickle brine. Of course Matt would always beat me when it came to his favorite game, "How Much Meow Mix Can You Scarf Before Mom (or Mittens) Freaks Out!"

"I want Chicken, I want Liver, Meow Mix Meow Mix please deliver."

-ChrisJohn

Julie K said...

Yes, Christian,
You have made some valid points, and taken my next three blog ideas! I had planned on devoting an entire blog on Mom's Jello alone. I have often mused "That darling woman can cook an entire turkey dinner and yet cannot master the intricacies of the gelatin dessert".
But thank you for the Happy Steak logo. I enjoy having it festooned about the top of my blog.
Julie

Vegor said...

Your mention of dad's classic saying "What? Are your hands painted on?" got me thinking.

First of all...for the longest time I had no idea what this expression meant...I thought it had something to do with me not being able to do things because my hands had paint on them. I am not kidding...I was probably 15 before I figured it out. And I remember actually saying the words out loud...and then saying "Wow...that is really retarded!" Of course who realy is the bigger retard? Him for using the expression, or me for taking so long to figure out what it meant?

It also got me thinking about the multitude of other genius phrases in the Old Man's repitoire. I won't reveal them here, mostly because I would like Julie to write up an entire article dedicated to the subject, but I would like to get it started with this old chestnut:

If father was ready to leave he would get rather impatient with how long it takes 6 kids and a wife to get in the car. He would start the process by saying something like "Let's Beat Feet." Frankly, this makes absolutely no sense. Beating our feet would only slow us down. But whatever.

Once we were in the car, and the Old Man was feeling proud of this considerable accomplishment, he would often say "Shadrach, Meshach, and Away we Go!" Again...actual meaning is not important.

Now let's say this particular journey was a trip home from a Bakersfield visit. First the Old Man would lay all the seats down flat so we could lay across the width of the car, all lined up like railroad ties (car safety was invented much later). He would then inform us his estimate for when we would be pulling into the driveway on 1535 Bliss in Clovis. He would then adjust his speed accordingly to meet his estimate to the minute. I guess this last one wasn't so much a saying...just something weird he did. Sorry.

Quiz time! What was always shouted by one of us kids when driving through South Bakersfield heading towards Grandma's house on Casino Street?

Answer: "I see the Dinosaur first!" The dinosaur was part of a miniture golf course, that for some reason was located in a hanger at the airport.

There was a similar game when going to Disneyland with this variation: "I see the Matterhorn first!"

And on the way back from the beach on Kanan Road it wasn't uncommon to hear Pedersen kids say "Goodbye Ocean...We'll bring you back some poo."

Proof that saying weird crap is genetic

Julie K said...

Chris-John,
You know, setting up your own blog is super easy and even free! You should get one. Seriously. Or you know, you could just keep writing in the comments section of my blog and call it your blog!
Honsetly though, I too was confused by that painted on phrase. I would always look down and think, well, no--they don't have any paint on them but I did get some marker on my hands today in class...Yeah, we kids were duh-TARDED. It is easy to see why Dad felt compelled to invent all those nonsense put-downs. Do you remember that he would often refer to us "Pilgrams"? I swear as a child I had no repect for the Pilgrams--I figured they were all noisy, ill-mannered little people just like us. No wonder they couldn't grow their own maize.
And in conclusion, I had completely forgotten (suppressed) the "Goodbye ocean....." I about wet myself being reminded of it again. And in my defense, I am sure that I never said anything so stupid.
Oh and hey Christian--Baaaaaagel truck!

Vegor said...

I will never forget Autistic Austin and his slutty sister Hanna. Remember Hanna's love nut to Kjell:

"I love you....I want to have sax with you."

Who doesn't enjoy some good ol' sax? I know Kenny G and Bill Clinton can't get enough of it.

As for getting my own blog I say "Nuts to that Pilgrim!" I am having much more fun here.

Hey...remember Bootleg?

Julie K said...

Hmmmm. Bootleg. Of course I remember her. I imagine her in one of those age-progression pictures like they show for kids who have been missing for years. My guess is she looks exactly the same but older, and with a tramp stamp above her hiney. She even keeps her bangs hacked off to the scalp, just the way dear 4 year old Kirsten left them.
But do you remember the little girl that made her mother (and our's) crazy by not wearing underpants under her dresses? She would get in the car wearing them and take them off during the drive to day-care, being careful to stuff them in the seat pocket in front of her. I can't remember her name, but I think it was Pamela Anderson.

Anonymous said...

Pretty good stuff. I laughed, I cried, I crapped my pants in the back of Dad's new car just for old time's sake (note: Dad's punishments deserve their props in a later blog).

Because I was a couple years behind I missed out on some of the early legendary stuff. By the time I was at an age to actually distinguish what it was I was consuming, mom had settled comfortably into the fish sticks - minestroni - burritos - spagetti habit. Now that Cally is at the age of onionidentificationability, I realize that the other constraint working against mom was the fact that she had 5 kids at any given time with at least 5 things they would absolutely not eat(apparently ground beef was not on anyone's list at the time).

Dad passed on his dislike for tomatos to all of us boys.

Mark decreed onions unedible unless totally devoid of all crunchiness (crunchy or not Cally can detect even trace amounts of onions on anything, like a kid who has a peanut reaction to something that was processed in a factory where a guy once ate a Payday. Julie save your protests on this one).

Julie you seem to have rolled with the punches and did not reject anything, quietly eating anything that was put in front of you like the good daughter, while all along compiling your Crappy Food Diary (or Diarrhea as Christian and me would have called it) for later use in a then unconceived blog or therapy session.

I don't think anyone needs to be reminded of Christian's reason for his deep seeded hatred for mom's lazagna (as is you needed a reason not to eat a pasta dish that had cottage cheese in the middle. One of mom's greatest/worst substitutions ever). Lets just say it involved purple private parts and a stomach pump and leave it at that. Sadly it was many years later that I found out that real lazagna was really good and I have to say I have new found respect for Garfield. Lots of respect.

As for me and Kjell I think we just took all the dislikes of our predessors and made them our own. Like me insisting at school that my mom made a mistake by giving me peanutbutter and JELLY (instead of honey) because I was allergic to it (when it actually just gave me gag reflexes that to this day I cannot explain). Or how I would not eat spagetti with spagetti sauce (which Julie has already established was made of the same two things that our pizza was made out of, tomato paste and the ever-present ground beef) and would instead insist on cheddar cheese with lawry's (Ah Lawry's. Mark should also be given credit here for daring to put large amounts of the seasoned delight on EVERYTHING).

Kirsten was by far the worst because she not only hated everything, she reserved the right to change her mind at any time on a given dish. This of course was one of our greatest joys, (Christian, Kjell and I) teasing her about how she had to eat the food she hated. How many times did we cover that old Franky Valley song, "Cry-he-eye-he-ing Over Food"? Why even right now I am thinking of seeing her on Mother's Day at her homecoming address and wondering how funny it would be to slip one of dad's famous bread with mayonnaise sandwiches onto the pulpit. Sure the vomit would be cleaned up right away, but the fond memories and smell of bile would linger on forever.

Also Christian's (because that is what his name was when we were kids) list of disgusting things we ate was lacking in a few items, even though for me, cat food was by far the volume leader. Bullion cubes were at least 3 seconds of flavorful exhilaration in an otherwise flavorless world. To get rid of that taste in my mouth I could always turn to the candy coating on ex-lax to do the job. Mark was definitly the innovator of the family. He of course brought us microwave baloney bowls but who could ever forget his experimentations with Grape-Nuts (who was the ad wizard who came up with that one...). Who would have thought that taking good old Grape-Nuts, adding a little milk, a cup of sugar and some chocholate chips (if you could get them from mom's safe) would make a delicious and nutricious snack. Brilliant.
In the WHERE ARE THEY NOW FILE, our beloved Grape-Nuts are being used extensively here in the mountains in the winter. They dump them in large quantities on the road and call them by their generic name of "gravel". Also in the WHERE ARE THEY NOW FILE, after years in exile, bullion cubes have been turning up lately in the bottom of Dorito bags.

Finally I would be remissed if I closed this chapter on our childhood food if I did not mention the cans of mixed vegetables that we ate at almost every meal. I am not sure that any of these disgusting, limp chopped up nuggets of "nature's candy" were ever consumed except for the infamous lima beans. I would not be suprised if the sole reason for that side was simply to see just how impressionable the third boy in the family was that he could be convinced that he LOVED: lima beans, half-burnt/half-batter pancakes, and walking on the knuckles of his feet.

So what is the real meaning of the hands-painted-on phrase? Am I wrong by thinking that he was referring to the fact that paint, except for in the case of old shut windows, does not make for a very reliable adhesive, and if one who's legs and arms were attached to their body by paint alone, would, upon moving, be rendered limbless like the knight from MP Search for the Holy Grail. As I am writing this I am now sure that this is the true meaning and probably the one that you have been referring to now that you've been enlightened.

As for dad sayings I think that should definitly get its own entry or at least share time with classic dad punishments under the heading of Mike Pedersen's School of Parenting. Lots of material there, maybe too much. Sure Social Services cannot take us away now but mom's daycare business would be shut down and Kraft Foods's Mac and Cheese division would have to close with it.

As far as the trips to Bakersfield, I cannot believe there was no mention of the putrid smell of rotting grapes mixed with Mark and/or Christian's developing body odor on those hot, air conditionless rides. Or how the vinyl seats fused themselves to our sweaty legs as we would sit in the back seat, facing backwards, carving things into the plastic like "1103" or "no cooks". Then just before someone spotted the dinosaur, dad would spot a bum on the side of the road and say, "Hey its the Mayor of Bakersfield". Actually one of his better lines. Gotta give credit where credit's due.

I will end tonight by saying that not more than 3 days ago Dan (my installer, my friend, and admirer of Pedersen lore) and I were taking about how kids pick up on things that their parents say and I shared with him the "saxy" love note Kjell got. On a related note, how about the daycare mom that got Kirsten the anotomically correct male doll for her 3 year old birthday? What was she thinking? Not that Janna and I as parents have got the whole "private parts" thing down with our kids. Cally is no problem but when Casey prays for the food and that his "penis won't hurt anymore" I wonder if there is a better way. I'll go ask dad, I'm sure he can pass down some advice he got from his dad.

Julie K said...

Oh Matt, don't worry. I am planning to cover the whole "snack foods" topic in the future, and your cat food snackings will be noted, trust me.
I enjoyed being reminded of 1103 and "no cooks", thanks. Yeah, poor Mom. By the way, last night's dinner at her house was delicious--and everything was far from burned--somethings were even underdone!
And I think maybe you and Christian could possibly co-author a blog. You certainly have enough material.

Vegor said...

If we are going to talk snack foods then we would be remiss not to mention "Hot Buttered Ohs". Sure it sounds like a dirty movie now...but back in the day that was grub! For those who choose not to remember here is the recipe:

One pan on high heat (of course, thank you mom) with a half a stick of Imperial Margarin sizzling in it.

Add a cup or two of Cheerios or similar O shaped sugar-less cereal and stir fry to a golden brown.

And Matt, how can mention things carved into the plastic paneling in the back of station wagon and forget about "Taxi, Taxi, Taxi" Truly a classic in the history of juvenile vandalism!

To get back on the food subject I totally forgot to give mom her proper respect for one of the greatest entrees ever invented: Hot Hats!

Hot Hats consisted of melted cheddar cheese (Bohan cheese if we could get it), cubed ham chunks, all wrapped up in pizza dough and thrown in the oven. The early versions also had poppy seeds on the top.

My darling wife made a Hot Hats version out of Puff Pastry a while back...we ate them for like four days, and I swear I gained 10 pounds.

Do you guys remember Bohan Cheese. Bohan, the smelly janitor at Little Wranglers who gave us his monthly brick of Government Cheese. Good times!

Vegor said...

One correction. It was Roy Orbison who sang Crying...and we changed it to Crying over Shoes because Kirsten was crying over shoes that mom wouldn't buy her.

Now it is entirely possible that we also sang a song about Kirsten's eating disorder...as I recall singing songs as a form of mockery was a popular Pedersen tradition. Like whenever Kjell was in trouble (OK...when was he not in trouble?) I would break out into "There's gonna be a Bum Bust tonight" sung to "There's gonna be a heart ache tonight" by The Eagles.


PS:
I thought Kjell wrote "No Cooks" on his poorly constructed skateboard ramp? Perhaps his hatred for cooks extended to the wagon as well...but I think by that time we had ditched the Family Truckster in favor of that awesome blue and silver Ford Aerostar.

PSS:
For those who are perhaps less Pedersen savvy and are wondering why Kjell hated cooks so much, let me assure you it had nothing to do with our mother's cooking. Kjell thought he was writing "No Kooks". That boy hated Kooks and wanted them no where near his skateboard ramp!

Vegor said...

I don't want to make it seem like Mom actually "invented" Hot Hats. I think Mark stole the recipe from the two weeks he worked at Pizza Hut in Clovis.

As to why they are called Hot Hats...the world will never know.

Vegor said...

OK...I did some research and I think I have solved the riddle of the Hot Hat.

It is possible that Mark didn't work at Pizza Hut, but instead at Straw Hat Pizza. Those guys invented the Hot Hat. By the way...Pizza Hut bought Straw Hat in 1987...but Straw Hat and their famous Hot Hats still live on to this day.

You can read all about it here

Now it is entirely possible that as Pizza Hut was buying up Straw Hat locations in the early 80s that they purchased the Clovis Straw Hat franchise and co-opted their unique menu. According to their website there are not currently any Straw Hats left in Fresno or Clovis.

While I was researching the Hot Hat I thought I'd check out Pizza and Pipes because Julie and I were were talking about it the other day. Now its called Pizza party and looks totally Lame!

Anonymous said...

Pipeline,

Ya so I have to admit, it was really late and I knew that you and I carved a few things in the back in order to get Mark (1103) and Kjell in trouble. I could not remember the taxi x 3 (good memory on that one) so I thought I would sneak in "no cooks", which Kjell actually wrote on the front of his school notebook if I am not mistaken. We'd have to get Kjell's take on it because it is all a little fuzzy. Pretty sure that was when we lived in the Dosh's house (street name?) and I don't think the family truckster made it out of Clovis.

Once again I was taking a stab at the "Crying" song but I am sure we used it for food, shoes and probably several other things. Sure with Kjell we sang the "Bum Bust" every time Kjell got his getting his craft hovered but for me "Johnny Urine-itis" defines his early years much like beady-eyed crook tooth begger defined yours. Not that these were real songs but we always sang them.

Wayne said...

So Julie,

Funny you should bring up the subject of cooking. . .

I remember getting a letter from you when you were at BYU and I was on my mission. If memory serves, you were extolling the virtues of a sack of potatoes and how long you survive on them.

Of course, in my old age, my memory may be failing me. I do distinctly recall being worried about your health at that point.

BTW, it's great to find you you're still alive and just as lacking of sanity as I remember.

I feel like I should go bowling or something to celebrate this internet-fueled reunion. . .

So, how is Grumpy Old Dad these days?